[SOLVED] LiveTV "micro lags" (1 Viewer)

Zuzler

Portal Pro
May 18, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Ooookay, here we are:
I've identified the problem, it's the extended desktop. As soon as I move MP from another monitor to the primary (while being in fullscreen, with a preset key combination), dropping stops almost immediately. No matter what DXVA setting is used or if DRR is enabled or not. But just on live TV.

Now the hard part. How can we fix dropped frames while MP is not running on the primary monitor?

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'll just repeat myself....

If you are running 1.4.0, try enabling DWM 'queued mode' support for dshowhelper - see the top of this post - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp-1-3-x-dshowhelper-development.113014/#post-921629 - for info on the registry settings.

I suggest using settings:

EnableDWMQueuedMode = 1
    NumDWMBuffers = 4

Multi-monitor setups can be difficult-to-impossible to get smooth video playback on - as a minimum you should run all the monitors at the same refresh rate, have the TV as the primary display, and start up MP on that display.

Tony

Zuzler

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Whoops, sorry if I didn't reply to this.
    I tried that and couldn't see any difference at all. Do I need to restart my PC or the TVservice after changing the entries?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Whoops, sorry if I didn't reply to this.
    I tried that and couldn't see any difference at all. Do I need to restart my PC or the TVservice after changing the entries?

No - just MP.

If that doesn't help then there isn't anything you can do to fix it, as far as I know.

I suspect that de-interlaced TV video (which will be at 50 FPS) probably just shows up the problem more (compared to 24 FPS bluray etc) - the TV side of MP doesn't know or care about displays - it's only the final video rendering stage that does, and that is shared by all video playback.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    FYI - Problem solved with the following (over Team Viewer)
    1. Raise MP priority to High
    2. Set all displays to same refresh rate (60hz)
    3. disable DRR
    4. disable GPU video enhancements
    5. set deinterlace mode to weave in ccc
    6. set TV to RGB32: 0-255 in ccc
    7. disable vsync in ccc + audio codec
    8. set Lav to software decode + software deinterlace
    9. set lav to convert colourspace to RGB32: 0-255

now user just needs to enable things one at a time

Last edited:

Zuzler

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Problem solved. For real this time!
    Here's what kiwijunglist and I did in a short but intense remote support session:

1. Display refresh rate
    • has to be the same as all the others (or at least 60hz), dropping started as soon as I jumped back to 50hz
    • DRR in MP has to be off, otherwise it changes your monitors refresh rate
    • This is what solved the problem for me. I tried switching before, but somehow, even with DRR off, my monitor jumped back to 50hz at some point in time.
    2. Vertical sync
    • AMD CCC (well, for me they are still ATI ;)
      • "off unless application specifies otherwise"
      • this was the default for me
    • inside audio codec
      • AC3filter is OK on standard settings
      • LAV Audio is OK like here:
      • LAV_audio.png
    3. Colour Space (in CCC)
    • I have set RGB 4:4:4 on all monitors
    • Note: if using DXVA in LAV then color space conversion is done by GPU regardless of setting
    4. Video enhancements in CCC
    • Note: "Smooth Video Playback" actually just disables enhancement if gpu load is high
    • It can be on "Smooth Video Playback" and deinterlacing on "Automatic", which is the default
    5. Hardware acceleration vs software decoding (2 components)
    • decoding the video
      • DXVA can be off or on, it feels a bit smoother on "copyback" or "none"
      • Settings:
      • LAV_video.png
    • deinterlacing the video
      • see above
    6. Process priority
    • set to "normal" again after testing was done
    7. dshowhelper.dll (as suggested by Owlsroost)
    • was again replaced with the standard .dll and all registry settings reverted to standard
    Conclusion:
    It's basically a matter of monitor refresh rate. If you are running a multi monitor setup and MediaPortal is not running on the primary display, make sure all monitors have the same refresh rate.

A huge thank you goes to everybody who participated in this thread for the last week, especially to kiwijunglist who spared some of his free time on a sunday to help me out over TeamViewer.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    7. dshowhelper.dll (as suggested by Owlsroost) was again replaced with the standard .dll and all registry settings reverted to standard

Just a quick note for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread - in case you want to try the registry settings I mentioned, they are supported by the standard MP 1.4.0 dshowhelper.dll (you do not need to replace it with a special 'dev' version)

Zuzler

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Owlsroost: Oh cool, didn't know that. I might experiment a bit with those settings then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom