[SOLVED] Logitech Harmony Remote - Mapping Keyboard Keys (1 Viewer)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I basically use an mce compatible remote with an mce reciever and use the out of the box remote solution in MePo. The remote I have is programmable and I can add buttons to a screen on the top 'Harmany 885' on different pages of the screen. I'd like to utilize this, or at least remap existing mce buttons to actions like -

Open MPTVSeries or
    Open Movingpictures

How would I go about this, I don't see how this is possible on the remapping screen in MePo config?

Thanks!
    Batfink

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

You can use the shortcutter plugin to configure this.. You can set a couple of buttons (like Ctrl + Shift + M) to open moving pictures.. You have to know the ID number for Movingpictures.. After doing this you can program a button of your remote to this shortcut..

I'm also using it.. When i press the movies button on my remote I'm going to moving pictures.. :)

If you need more help please report..

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.234281,6.611614

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Re: Map a button to open a plugin?

Hi thanks for the info. So I get that shortcutter allows you to map key presses to the plugins id numbers.. but what I don't understand is how I map those key presses to a button on my remote?

Edit: I'll actually expland on that a little.. Lets say I set moving pictures in shortcutter to use CTRL + SHIFT + A as the key press. Now I understand I can map key presses to remote buttons in the MePo config 'Mapping' area for MCE remote.. Is this the correct place to do this?

If so, what I don't understand is how to map that particular key press. Reading the Wiki you use the left side input box for standard keys with relevent ASCII codes and the right side input box for special keys which have virtual key codes.. It also says you can only populate one of these fields and the other should be left as 0.. So how do I map to something that would use both types of code? 'CTRL and SHIFT' and then a normal 'A' key?

Also what is the syntax.. CODE SPACE PLUS SPACE CODE etc etc i.e. '123 + 23 + 96'?

Thanks
    Batfink

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi Batfink,

you are right about the uppest part.. When you map that shortcut (ZTRL + SHIFT + A) to the ID of movingpictures, you can use this shortcut on your keyboard in MP and it will go to movingpictures..

About the remote mapping.. I'm using an imon remote, and I can configure thit with the software.. Don't know how it works exactly with a MCE remote.. Is there any software included with the remote you can use? Otherwise you can play a bit with the settings in MP configuration like you explained..

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country

Ok, after much searching and playing and wanting to throw things at the wall I found out Microsoft manufacturer an infrared keyboard! So I got this to work finally!

Here's how for anyone else with a Logitech Harmony Remote who can map custom buttons on their remotes and wants to add more functionality to their remotes to control Mediaportal.. Note you will need an official Microsoft IR Receiver or atleast a fully compatible one.

Logitech have a couple of Microsoft Keyboard devices in their database which solves the problem of sending standard keyboard keys (rather than being restricted to standard MCE remote buttons) via infrared. To add them, add the following devices to your remote (its important you put exactly what is shown into the Harmony Software to make sure you get the correct devices) -

Device: Computer -> Media Center PC
    Manufacturer: Microsoft
    Device: MCE Keyboard

and

Device: Computer -> Media Centre PC
    Manufacturer: Microsoft
    Device: Windows Media Center SE

Its worth renaming these so you don't get confused which is which (they default to Media Center PC 1 and 2). I used MCE Keyboard and MCE Keyboard SE.

MCE Keyboard has all the correct codes for all the standard keys on a keyboard, like a b c [ ] spacebar tab etc etc.. MCE Keyboard SE has special keys and this is the kicker, there are keys like CTRL + W and CTRL + X.

So using shortcutter I created shortcuts to TVSeries with CTRL + X and MovingPictures with CTRL + W and mapped these in the Harmony Remote to buttons. From here you can then use those buttons as if you were pressing CTRL + W etc on the keyboard.

Other things I did were create buttons such as 'Subtitles' and 'Audio Stream' and mapped these to the default keyboard shortcuts in Mediaportal, L and A respectively. So now I can pretty much control everything I normally use (subtitles was bugging me for ages on how to make them work on a single button press of the remote) using single button presses :)

Hope this helps someone.

EDIT: Renamed forum thread so its easier to find for others with this remote looking for keyboard key shortcuts :)

EDIT 2: Additional info -

I use no remote control plugins, just have my remote set to MCE remote in Mediaportal Setup. The only plugin used outside of a standard installation of MePo is shortcutter.

Cruzer

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I just found that they have added going straight to the Now Playing screen under music by pressing the z key. Can't wait to go home and try mapping the z to my harmony remote. And also, thanks for the shortcutter tip as well. Gotta love the MePo community. :D

downgrub

Portal Member
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country

thx batfink, been looking for a way to do this for ages :)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hope it works out for you. Its completely changed how I use mepo.. no more need for a keyboard finally. Now go install Avallonis skin :p

tobi_chiara

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @ powermarcel

I am using shortcutter + imon pad as well and would love to navigate direct to moving pictures with a click on "my movies" button.
    I tried different buttons and failed. Could you send some pcitures of your setup? Thank you

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    What part isn't working? an issue with making your remote output the right key or getting shortcutter to work?

Are you able to map anything to your my movies.. like keyboard key presses etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom