[Solved] TV Card Does Not Support Radio (1 Viewer)

BadDadSam

Portal Member
September 5, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
WinTV-HVR-2250 & 1250 running on separate TV Server 1.3, and several MP clients also 1.3. all are win7 machines. TVserver config gives error message when trying to scan for FM Radio Stations "TV Card Does Not Support Radio". From what I have read this can be a software Mpeg2 encoder problem. Hauppauge website says the 2250 is equipped with a hardware mpeg2 encoder, as a result I am completely confused. WinTV Version 7... scans & plays FM stations just fine, not sure what I am doing wrong in MediaPortal 1.3 TV Server. Any pointers to a solution would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello BadDadSam

The 2250 has hardware encoders. It should just work.
    The 1250 requires compatible software encoders to be installed. As far as I'm aware Hauppauge's SoftPVR/SoftMCE encoder package is compatible, so just install that and hopefully after that it should just work (though TV Server restart may be required).

The message indicates that whatever tuner you attempted to use has not been initialised correctly, so I suspect something out of the ordinary is going wrong in your system.

Please post your TV Server log files, as well as the analog tuner definitions for your tuners:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip up the files you find in that folder.
    4. Go up one level, then down again into the "AnalogCard" folder.
    5. Zip up the files you find in that folder.
    6. Post/attach both zip files here.

mm

PS: Please make it a habit to post log files when you ask for help. It saves an immense amount of time for us when we have all the information we need to help you.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks. :)

Okay, so first off it looks like you're attempting to use the HVR-1250. I can't see you ever attempting to use the HVR-2250 for analog TV or radio. Not a problem, however I would recommend the 2250 over the 1250 as it will give you faster first tune, be more reliable, and use less CPU. Hands down winner in my book, but that's your choice.

I further see you've completed a full analog TV scan with without issue. This at least shows you have software encoders installed and working. Good.

Now to the issue...
    According to the configuration file for your 1250 tuner, it doesn't support either FM or AM radio. To determine this I'm looking at the "<radioMode>0</radioMode>" element in the Configuration-3-Hauppauge WinTV 885 Tuner.xml file (XML files can be opened in any text editor such as notepad or MS Word). If the value were 2 it would support FM; if it were 4 it would support AM; if it were 6 it would support both FM and AM. That current radio mode value of zero has been retrieved from the tuner itself when TV Server first tried to use it.

So this suggests that the HVR-1250 does not actually support FM radio. Strange considering that WinTV 7 works.

So what can you do to get FM working?
    Lots of things!
    1. Try the 2250 tuners. I'm 90% certain these will work.
    2. Delete the Configuration ... xml files and try to scan again. TV Server will automatically recreate them so there is absolutely no harm in doing this. This will have the effect of rechecking and resetting the radioMode value.
    3. Manually edit the XML file mentioned above and change "<radioMode>0</radioMode>" to "<radioMode>4</radioMode>".

Note that I don't recommend option 3 to the casual reader. If the tuner really didn't support FM radio and you tried to use it as an FM tuner... well, bad things could possibly happen. I'm saying it might work, but the driver and hardware might not like it. If you try option 3 it is at your own risk.

mm

BadDadSam

Portal Member
    September 5, 2011
    Home Country
    When I try to click on the WinTV analog 7164 card nothing happens. No window change at all. Will not let me select either one.[DOUBLEPOST=1366584155][/DOUBLEPOST]Screen Shot....when I try to select

Attachments

• Untitled.png
      Untitled.png
      191.1 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I try to click on the WinTV analog 7164 card nothing happens. No window change at all.
    Sorry, I don't understand.

What are you clicking on?
    A button in the WinTV analog 7164 scanning section such as the "scan for radio channels" button?
    The name of the tuner on the left hand side of TV Server configuration (ie. to try and go to the scanning section for that tuner)?
    The name of the tuner in the tuner list for your server?

Also, am I to understand that you tried to delete the configuration files and it didn't work?

Note: for options 2 and 3 I should have said that you need to restart the TV service after doing that. In other words, process is delete or modify files, go to the manual control section in TV Server configuration and click "stop service"... wait... then "start service", then try to scan again.

BadDadSam

Portal Member
    September 5, 2011
    Home Country
    TVServer-------Server-----Analog card 7 or 8....screen shot above shows when I click on card 7 or 8 nothing happens. No scan for channel window comes up. I did stop service after deletion of .xml files in analog folder. rebooted ....same result.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the screenshot - missed that edit.

I see you trying that in your log file now. Error:
    2013-04-21 10:06:41.958800 [SetupTv(1)]: Exception :confused:ystem.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
    at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
    at SetupTv.Sections.CardAnalog.OnSectionActivated()
    at SetupTv.SetupTvSettingsForm.ActivateSection(SectionSettings section)

So it looks like somehow you've managed to set the country or source selection for that tuner to an invalid value. :confused:

Unless you know how to edit the contents of a database that is going to be a hard issue to fix without a total uninstall and reinstall...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom