[SOLVED] TV Stream stuttering - both Video and Audio (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Also if I rollback the windows update - will I have to reinstall all 3rd party programs, or will it maintain the ones I have?
    I have never tried the recovery option to rollback a major update so I can't say for sure, it implies only settings and installs made after the update was installed should be lost but it is not 100% clear for me on that, you may need to research further and do an image backup before risking it.

Which make of on board graphics do you have and did the drivers change with the 2004 (May/June)update, if not are they up to date?

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The following article reports a problem with video stuttering in games:

It may be this problem that is affecting your HTPC, although I would have expected Microsoft to have fixed the problem by now (the article is dated 22 July). It might be worthwhile running Windows Update again to see if there are any further updates that have not yet been installed (i.e. updates that fix this problem).

The article says that you have 10 days in which to uninstall the 2004 update (see article for instructions). If this solves the problem, you then have a new problem -- how to prevent Windows Update re-installing 2004 in the future. A year or two from now it might be safe to install 2004, but to stop it in the meantime I suggest that you look on the web for solutions (I think that there are various ways that this can be achieved).

Although I use Windows 7 on my HTPC, I do have a laptop with Windows 10, and it is still running the 1607 version. I think that it has not updated because I enabled the "I am using a metered internet connection" setting, and this stops Windows downloading gigabytes of updates. This setting may have been made inaccessible in more-recent versions of Windows 10, but if you can find it, it might be worthwhile enabling it.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As hinted at by @CyberSimian there were problems with the 2004 update and some graphics hardware and drivers. In fact MS inhibited the automatic update to 2004 on pcs with some Intel and Nvidia graphics hardware, driver and setting combinations that were known to cause issues.
    You indicated that you applied to 2004 update to another pc for testing, did you manually force it or do you have updates disabled? Basically I am curious to know why both pcs are so delayed in having the 2004(May/June) updated installed.

Stephen O'Kane

Portal Member
    October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Basically I am curious to know why both pcs are so delayed in having the 2004(May/June) updated installed.

In regards to the laptop - I think this weekend was the 1st time I'd turned it on since the world went to bits in March - I used to use it when working from home - but now use my main work computer at home.
    I ran windows update manually after verifying the Tuner / Media Portal worked ok on the old windows build

For my personal desktop, I recall changing some setting to delay updates - I don't remember exactly what - but it still forces updates eventually.

Stephen O'Kane

Portal Member
    October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    But I also have good news - I have solved the issue.

I had tried to find an updated driver for the PCTV 290e USB tuner I have, but had no luck.
    I then contacted Hauppage support to see if they had a new driver for it.

They eventually replied this morning suggesting to install their WinTV product, as it updates the drivers too.

And that seems to have worked - but I'll need to properly check it later this evening.

There is a new driver installed, and the TV is back to normal again.

The driver is dated 2020-05-04, so it looks like the driver was updated around the time of the Windows 10 2004 update.

Thanks again guys for you time.
    I really appreciate it.
    Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom