[SOLVED] Two Clients, One Works, The Other Does Not (1 Viewer)

dreslick

August 17, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello! A couple of weeks ago, I installed my new Avermedia TV Wonder 650 USB device onto my Windows XP Professional computer. My intent was to use this computer as a central server for client computers to access recorded TV. I found MediaPortal, installed it onto the server and one client. After some configuration issues that were sorted out through searching the forums and Google, I was rewarded by being able to view (and hear) live TV from my client PC. I installed a second copy of the TV Client onto a second PC and hit a brick wall.

I am attaching the log files for you to see. Here's what happens:
- The program opens normally
- I select "TV"
- When I click the TV On Button, it glows for 30 seconds or so, then stops.
- When I click "Recorded TV," I get the message "Please specify the IP address or host name of the master TV service. The current setting is correct and I have tried both the host name and the IP address.
- When I click ""Channel" the window title changes to "TV/MiniEPG" and the I am no longer able to click on anything else (I can close the program normally, however using the "X" in the menu at the top of my screen.)

I have no firewalls enabled. I have tried to duplicate the set up in this computer so it matches the one that works. I can't help but think that I'm missing something simple, for example, do I need a program to contact the database through, or does MediaPortal contact MySQL directly? During the installation, I was not prompted to enter a server name / password (all set at default). I set the server address through the configuration program.

Thank you for looking through all this. I'm happy to provide answers to questions you may have, or just try some different ideas you may have.

Last edited by a moderator:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome dreslick :)

First, thank you for providing the log files - that's much appreciated.
    From the logs, the problem does indeed seem to be that the second PC is not able to connect to the MySQL database on the first PC.
    Did MediaPortal install and create the MySQL database for you?
    Is "media" (192.168.1.13) is the PC with the tuner in it and TV Server software installed?
    I note that the default database password is "MediaPortal".

mm

dreslick

August 17, 2012
    Home Country
    Hello, mm and thank you for looking at my post!

To answer your questions:

-"media" (192.168.1.13 is the PC with the tuner in it. The TV Server software is installed and it functions correctly from client #1

-I started thinking about the password, and I think I changed it to "123456" Is there a way to tell? I looked at the gentle.config file on the working client and the gentle.config file on the non-working client and they both have the same username and password. I think I changed it thinking that it would be needed whenever we used the service and I didn't my family to have to memorize another password.

-The MediaPortal installation program downloaded and installed all the components (I believe MySQL was among them). The Server (media) did have some configuration / setup, but the non-working client did not. I un-installed and re-installed both the server and the client software a number of times on the working client and I don't remember how it worked on the working client, sorry :(

dreslick

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    -"media" (192.168.1.13 is the PC with the tuner in it. The TV Server software is installed and it functions correctly from client #1
    I wonder if the issue could be firewall related then. In other words, could the client #2 firewall be blocking it from connecting to the server?

-I started thinking about the password, and I think I changed it to "123456" Is there a way to tell? I looked at the gentle.config file on the working client and the gentle.config file on the non-working client and they both have the same username and password. I think I changed it thinking that it would be needed whenever we used the service and I didn't my family to have to memorize another password.
    If not firewall, the other thing that you could do is try using the server's IP address (192.168.1.13) rather than the "media" hostname in the gentle.config file.

dreslick

August 17, 2012
    Home Country
    Thank you mm, for your help. I am sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you. I have disabled all firewalls and tried the server hostname, server IP address, and, just for the fun of it, my LogMeIn Hamachi IP Address. After searching a bit more, I had a look at my Hosts file (I use HostsMan and the MVPS Hosts files and I "re-installed" the windows default hosts file. I even copied my gentle.config file from the working client to the non-working client.

What finally worked:

Adding the IP Address and Host name to the Windows Hosts file. (for those searching the Hosts file in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

Now if I can get the playback to be less choppy. I'll open another post on that one if I can't get it figured out.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, mm. I appreciate you and this program!

dreslick

PS (How do I add Solved to the subject line)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom