Some basic questions (1 Viewer)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Ok, hopefully that will be enough to track things down. Thanks a ton Boiler. I will post here with updates. The issue for this can be found here as well.

Boiler

Portal Pro
July 29, 2007
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
okay, i'm note sure if the database corruption is related to renaming actions in the movie manager

i suspect it has something to do with how often and frequently you open and close the configuration. today, i opened the config a few times in row and suddenly, i got the same error. for some reason, frequent opening and closing of the config screen in short intervalls seem to corrupt the database. may be there's also some connection to the location of the shared folder (in my case a NAS).

just wild guessing though...

Boiler

Portal Pro
July 29, 2007
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
hey fforde

i wanted to give a feedback on what's happened. since i upgraded to version 5c almost all previous problems are gone. renaming, acessing the config etc, everything works fine now, no more database corruptions occured.

the only problem remaining is, that occasionally, some movies get rescaned and added to the database, resulting in double or even triple entries.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Hrmm. Okay, I will investigate. Next time you are in the config and you see a file get added as a duplicate could you grab your log file and post it though? That would help a lot tracking down the bug.

mojo_lo

Portal Member
September 1, 2007
a) Movie Importer: What exactly is the function of the 'removable' thingy? is it safer to mark that option when your files are on a NAS (always connected, except for power outage)? Will it prevent that movies are being imported twice?
When you do not select the "removable thingy" Moving Pictures will automatically remove movies that it cannot find. If you are sure its on a NAS and always accessible by MovPic you do not have to set the removable option. If it is however a external HDD that you sometimes have and sometimes do not have plugged in, it's advisable to define it as removable :) .

The removable option is nice, but it would be great to have an additional improvement to the importer. The method meedio uses to manage offline NAS servers is nice - if the root folder is not available, the movie will not be removed from the library. In other words, with an original directory structure such as this:

G:\Movies
G:\Movies\The Godfather
G:\Movies\The Godfather\The Godfather.mkv

If G:\Movies is found, but G:\Movies\The Godfather\The Godfather.mkv is no longer present, the movie The Godfather will be removed from the database.

If G:\Movies is NOT found (and thus, the server is offline), the movie The Godfather will NOT be removed from the database.

Will this be possible to implement in Moving Pictures?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
That is not a bad design, but it does not handle the case of external hard drives or USB drives. What if I have two external drives that connect via USB, both mapping to E: when plugged in individually. I plug in the first drive and import all my movies on the disk. Then I unplug it, and plug in the second drive to import movies from that one. Only now that the second disk is mapped to E:, all the movies from the first disk get auto removed, because the root path exists and the files are clearly gone. In this situation your suggested design fails, and wipes out the users movie library.

I think you are imagining only networked drives, not true removable media, and we need to support both. It might be possible to create two types of "removable media" though. "Networked Media" and "Removable Media". The first behaving as you describe, and the second using existing functionality...

Any thoughts?

marvenius

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Belgium
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I think you are imagining only networked drives, not true removable media, and we need to support both. It might be possible to create two types of "removable media" though. "Networked Media" and "Removable Media". The first behaving as you describe, and the second using existing functionality...

Any thoughts?

Well, if it is possible, it would be a very nice feature! I can't think of any (non technical) reasons why not to implement such a feature. It does impose an extra task for "us" manual documenters :) We need to describe it as best as we can...

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I like this idea too, I have a nas also and had to do a rescan recently since my Serverw as down and I started my HTPC...
A Networked Media option would be perfect..

solis66

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Nice, I really agree with this, since there is a substantial difference between removable media and a NAS that is online most of the time (but perhaps not always).

This would be a great feature to the plugin.
    Keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom