Some HD channels now don't work on Freeview HD (1 Viewer)

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
February 27, 2011
Hello folks,

I have been using MP 1.7.1 with my Blackgold 3620 happily for a while now, but recently I seem to have lost the ability to access certain Freeview HD channels, eg 4SevenHD, BBC FourHD - channles that I know worked in the past and I have recordings made from them.
I have done a retune after 1900 when the channels are active, but despite them appearing in the channels list, I get a 'Preview failed:NoSignalDetected' message when previewing them via TVServer.
I have attached the MP Watchdog logs with me opening MP, selecting BBCTHREEHD, which works, and then a selection of HD channels that don't and finally Channel4HD, which also works.

It seems that all the channels that I can't receive are all on the Freeview Multiplex COM7 - ARQC - Arqiva C, which are all available on my Youview box on the same aerial feed.

If anybody can have a look at the attached log files and suggest what the problem is, I would be most grateful.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Did you click on update tuning details before running the new scan?
    Dark Eyes is using a DVB-T/T2 tuner. Ergo, there is no "update tuning details" button. Having said that...

Dark Eyes is right that all the channels that don't work appear to be broadcast from the same frequency. Based on this observation, one might suspect that frequency has changed (certainly possible given the use of MP 1.7.1, which is now fairly out of date)... or that reception conditions have worsened to the point that the tuner can no longer receive that frequency.

If I were you, the first thing I'd do is go hunting through the Youview box menus and the internet to check the frequency of the COM7 multiplex. TV Server currently thinks it is 570 MHz...

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Dark Eyes - which transmitter area are you in/using ? With that info I can check if MP's tuning data is still correct for your transmitter.

As all your non-working HD channels are in the 'new' COM7 mux, it's quite possible it's changed frequency since the tuning data for MP 1.7 was compiled (as mm suggested).

Last edited:

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2011
    Firstly, thank you all for your speedy responses.

I am using the Crystal Palace transmitter, which according to http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Crystal_Palace
    and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_transmitting_station#Digital_television is still using 570 MHz for COM7.
    The Youview box is reporting a signal strength of 59% for COM7 compared to 65% for PSB3 (BBCOne HD etc), but the quality is 100% for both.

I have had issues with MP versions later than 1.7.1 not restoring from the tray or responding when fullscreen after sleep, although I haven't tried 1.12 yet.

Any ideas about what the issue might be ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Any ideas about what the issue might be ?
    I can't give you any more specific ideas than what I already shared.

If the frequency is correct then I can only assume that your signal strength or quality has reduced [compared to what it was when you were able to view/record the channels] to the point that the tuner can no longer receive that frequency. There must be a reason for this reduction/change, and that is what I would be focusing on.
    • Have you changed your TV distribution system in any way? (...for example: added/removed splitters, amplifiers, TVs, DVRs, PC tuners etc.)
    • Is it possible that the aerial has moved due to strong wind etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom