[confirm] Some keys of MCE remote not working (1 Viewer)

bluepuma

Portal Member
March 3, 2006
MediaPortal Version: 1.2 beta
MediaPortal Skin: Standard
Windows Version: Win XP, Win 7
CPU Type: Core2Duo
Motherboard: Acer Idea Aspire 510 HTPC
Remote: Microsoft MCE remote (integrated receiver), HP MCE remote with USB receiver

I have a working setup of Win XP with MCE, both remotes working fine with all keys.
I have a working setup of Win 7 with MCE, both remotes working fine with all keys.

But MediaPortal is not recognizing remote keys like Back and Channel Up/down, even though I activated MCE remote in the configuration and checked the mappings.

I think MCE remotes should work out of the box when enabled.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    All buttons of official Microsoft MCE Remote working here on 4 HTPC's.
    Make sure you enabled the mce remote in MP Configuration -> Remotes.

bluepuma

Portal Member
    March 3, 2006
    Find attached the log files from starting MediaPortal in debug mode. I enabled the MCE remote in the configuration and enabled the extended logging for the remote.

I thought that remotes just send regular "keyboard characters", so I tested the remotes in notepad and with the tool KeyPose, which shows what keys are pressed.

Regular keys are working, so up/down, enter, 123 are displayed. But the highly necessary Back is not shown, so it's not translated into a regular key press. But as I wrote before , in MCE both standard remotes are fully functional.

So either
    1) I have non-standard MCE remotes using special APIs for the back button
    2) MediaPortal 1.2 is just not recognizing some of the special key presses
    3) Regular Windows or the installed MCE capture the special key presses - should I uninstall/disable something?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
      photo.JPG
      477.2 KB

bluepuma

Portal Member
    March 3, 2006
    Another point: the remote "special keys" (Back, Channel up/down) do not create a sound within MP, so the key presses seem to be not recognized at all

flokel

Portal Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 11, 2005
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Harmony 525 is working here with MCE settings flawlessly.

Have you tried it with disabled mce services?

Attachments

• MP_config.png
      MP_config.png
      72.3 KB

bluepuma

Portal Member
    March 3, 2006
    I tried disabling MCE services via MP Configuration -> Additional 3rd party checks -> Microsoft Media Center Services. But as soon as I closed and reopened MP configuration, the services were indicated as running again. Even after a reboot they were running. So I disabled XP MCE autostart, rebooted, shutdown the 3 MCE services manually, but still MP would not recognize the remote "special keys".

From my view there are 2 learnings for possible improvements:
    1) Check that the MP MCE configuration button actually shuts down the services (maybe a language problem de/en?)
    2) Create a hint (text) on the MCE remote configuration page to check the "Additional 3rd party checks" (usability, who would search through all the other config options)

Finally, I am still searching for a way to use my standard MCE remote control to "go back" to the MediaPortal main menu. Any hints or any other services to disable?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    no idea why your remote is not working. but just to confirm my official RC6 MCE remote is working fine.
    Does back not send an escape key? (which probably won't get printed.
    Is there nothing that might be interfering with the remote? (other software?)

bluepuma

Portal Member
    March 3, 2006
    On my 2 MCE remotes the back button does not seem to send an Esc key, the tool KeyPose doesn't show anything (but it does show the Esc from the keyboard).

I am really wondering why this is happening, cause I tested on WinXP and Windows 7 (both with MCE, but no other software) with 2 remotes with the same result - no Back button.

blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'd just like to know if anybody got to the bottom of this? I too have the same issue with a clean install of both versions 1.1.3 and 1.2.0b

I have a standard Microsoft MCE RC6 remote and receiver. I do a clean and new install of either one of the above versions, choose the MCE remote in the configuration and disable MCE services. In MediaPortal the up, down and select keys work fine, but the back button doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom