Some MKV files (around 10% of them )will not play - black screen (1 Viewer)

zubovsergei

Portal Member
January 26, 2009
United States of America United States of America
I have several mkv files that just will not play. THey range from movies to TV shows. I opened the mkv with graphedit and the files do not seem to have a video component (just audio), yet I can play them just fine with media player classic homecinema.

Files that play fine (which is about 90% of them) look like this when I open them with graphedit:

Filename.mkv -> Haali Media splitter -> (video) ffdshow video decoder -> video renderer
_____________________________-> (audio) ffdshow audio decoder -> AC3 Filter -> direct sound

Files that WILL not play (10% of them) look like this:

Filename.mkv -> Nero Splitter -> (audio) ffdshow audio decoder -> AC3 Filter -> direct sound

Any ideas why nero splitter is in there and why it won't play and/OR how to fix this in mediaportal?

This has nothing to do with subtitles as the files that DO NOT play are all english and have no subtitiles. Many of them are just TV shows like Terminator sarah conner chronicles, but again, only certain episodes don't play while others are fine.

Again the strange thing is that I can play them fine with media player classic homecinema, but they will NOT play with windows media player NOR media portal.

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Czech Republic Czech Republic
I have several mkv files that just will not play. THey range from movies to TV shows. I opened the mkv with graphedit and the files do not seem to have a video component (just audio), yet I can play them just fine with media player classic homecinema.

Files that play fine (which is about 90% of them) look like this when I open them with graphedit:

Filename.mkv -> Haali Media splitter -> (video) ffdshow video decoder -> video renderer
_____________________________-> (audio) ffdshow audio decoder -> AC3 Filter -> direct sound

Files that WILL not play (10% of them) look like this:

Filename.mkv -> Nero Splitter -> (audio) ffdshow audio decoder -> AC3 Filter -> direct sound

Any ideas why nero splitter is in there and why it won't play and/OR how to fix this in mediaportal?

This has nothing to do with subtitles as the files that DO NOT play are all english and have no subtitiles. Many of them are just TV shows like Terminator sarah conner chronicles, but again, only certain episodes don't play while others are fine.

Again the strange thing is that I can play them fine with media player classic homecinema, but they will NOT play with windows media player NOR media portal.
Did you tryed uninstall nero?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did you tryed uninstall nero?
    LOL, there's another wasted hour. have to agree though, Nero has a tendency to dominate a pc system and yes I have tried it, that's why I know it takes a hour to install, that's more than windows itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
    S [solved] No sound - MKV file MediaPortal 1 Talk 2
    HTPCSourcer [solved] Sometimes persistent issues when playing specific h264 mkv files MediaPortal 2 18
    D Some mkv files do not play General Support 1
    Don_Ald MKV covers Помощь по MediaPortal 9
    B mkv vom NAS laufen zu schnell Video & DVD 0
    bta489 [solved] Stuttering playback of edited recordings watch/edit Videos 2
    Lehmden Tools and other software Media-Buddy - the MKV Buddy successor. Tools and other software 41
    osre Audio issues with MKV Playback in MP2.1.3 General 5
    R How to launch Stereoscopic Player for 3D MKV OffTopic 4
    M WTV Files does not play on client, MPEG files works well General 0
    bigboss97 Does anyone has a SoundGraph imon remote file for MP2 to share? General 0
    J Help with new grabber file. WebEPG 1
    G WTV files General 11
    Golf4 TV-Records werden als Audio-Files importiert ? Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 0
    azzuro [fixed] [WIP MP2.3] - Audio files not imported to MP MediaPortal 2 18
    HTPCSourcer Media Accessor is flooding logs with files from attached monitor MediaPortal 2 9
    R [will not fix] [MP2-832] MP2.2.2 subtitles not shown for WTV files Submit: Bug Reports 7
    R [solved] Files moved to new location - Easy way to update database? My TVSeries 7
    R Files moved to different location - Easy way to update database? Moving Pictures 2
    thepahakurki Trakt error: Invalid or missing file Trakt 8
    M Keymapping Which File To Edit General Support 4
    F No data in "File Details" Moving Pictures 2
    R [solved] Moving pictures importer wont add files from a removable drive. Is there a work around ? Moving Pictures 8
    R Directx 9.0 June 2010 does not install on Windows 10 x64, ends up with weird failure / no debug file Installation, configuration support 0
    B xml file for perfect player Newcomers Forum 1