Some MKV files (around 10% of them )will not play - black screen (1 Viewer)

zubovsergei

Portal Member
January 26, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have several mkv files that just will not play. THey range from movies to TV shows. I opened the mkv with graphedit and the files do not seem to have a video component (just audio), yet I can play them just fine with media player classic homecinema.

Files that play fine (which is about 90% of them) look like this when I open them with graphedit:

Filename.mkv -> Haali Media splitter -> (video) ffdshow video decoder -> video renderer
_____________________________-> (audio) ffdshow audio decoder -> AC3 Filter -> direct sound

Files that WILL not play (10% of them) look like this:

Filename.mkv -> Nero Splitter -> (audio) ffdshow audio decoder -> AC3 Filter -> direct sound

Any ideas why nero splitter is in there and why it won't play and/OR how to fix this in mediaportal?

This has nothing to do with subtitles as the files that DO NOT play are all english and have no subtitiles. Many of them are just TV shows like Terminator sarah conner chronicles, but again, only certain episodes don't play while others are fine.

Again the strange thing is that I can play them fine with media player classic homecinema, but they will NOT play with windows media player NOR media portal.

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
I have several mkv files that just will not play. THey range from movies to TV shows. I opened the mkv with graphedit and the files do not seem to have a video component (just audio), yet I can play them just fine with media player classic homecinema.

Files that play fine (which is about 90% of them) look like this when I open them with graphedit:

Filename.mkv -> Haali Media splitter -> (video) ffdshow video decoder -> video renderer
_____________________________-> (audio) ffdshow audio decoder -> AC3 Filter -> direct sound

Files that WILL not play (10% of them) look like this:

Filename.mkv -> Nero Splitter -> (audio) ffdshow audio decoder -> AC3 Filter -> direct sound

Any ideas why nero splitter is in there and why it won't play and/OR how to fix this in mediaportal?

This has nothing to do with subtitles as the files that DO NOT play are all english and have no subtitiles. Many of them are just TV shows like Terminator sarah conner chronicles, but again, only certain episodes don't play while others are fine.

Again the strange thing is that I can play them fine with media player classic homecinema, but they will NOT play with windows media player NOR media portal.

Did you tryed uninstall nero?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did you tryed uninstall nero?

LOL, there's another wasted hour. have to agree though, Nero has a tendency to dominate a pc system and yes I have tried it, that's why I know it takes a hour to install, that's more than windows itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom