Some mkv files do not play

Discussion in 'General Support' started by decorativeed, July 1, 2018.

1. decorativeed

decorativeed Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Hi,

I have an unusual problem where a small percentage of the mkv files on my local drive do not play though Media Portal 1, either through video menu or with Moving Pictures.

The files all seem to be 10 bit x265 HEVC mkv files, but the majority of these types of files play fine. Some, however, when you press play, the screen goes blank as if it is about to play, before it returns to the previous screen. I then just have to play the movies through media player classic, and there's no problem with them.

The codecs section on Configurator tells me that it is using Lav Video Decoder for HEVC playback. I'm running version 1.19.0000 on Widows 7.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SpudR
    • Team MediaPortal

SpudR Documentation Group

CTO, MD
    Ratings:
    +672 / 2
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    Might be worth checking out your video card - mine really struggles to play HEVC (H.265) movies but no issues with H.264
    Google your card + HEVC and see if it's up to scratch. It really needs hardware decoding to play properly.
    You could always try HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder to reencode one of the failing movies to H.264 (you only need to do a bit instead of the entire movie), that might show you that your GPU needs an upgrade :)

• Like Like x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!