Some mkv files do not play (1 Viewer)

decorativeed

Portal Member
November 9, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an unusual problem where a small percentage of the mkv files on my local drive do not play though Media Portal 1, either through video menu or with Moving Pictures.

The files all seem to be 10 bit x265 HEVC mkv files, but the majority of these types of files play fine. Some, however, when you press play, the screen goes blank as if it is about to play, before it returns to the previous screen. I then just have to play the movies through media player classic, and there's no problem with them.

The codecs section on Configurator tells me that it is using Lav Video Decoder for HEVC playback. I'm running version 1.19.0000 on Widows 7.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks.

SpudR

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Country flag
    Might be worth checking out your video card - mine really struggles to play HEVC (H.265) movies but no issues with H.264
    Google your card + HEVC and see if it's up to scratch. It really needs hardware decoding to play properly.
    You could always try HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder to reencode one of the failing movies to H.264 (you only need to do a bit instead of the entire movie), that might show you that your GPU needs an upgrade :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

It is looking and working very well now and I am almost at the point of switching my HTPC to MP2, madvr would definitely push me over the edge for sure.;)
    It is looking and working very well now and I am almost at the point of switching my HTPC to MP2, madvr would definitely push me...
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.3 MediaPortal 2.3 is a full-blown media center software that addresses the most common user...
    Replies
    Views
    So the GT 1030 is ~AU$120 and the GTX 1650 ~AU$260 (based on my local store). Which, surprisingly for Australia, is just about bang-on the conversion rate. :) Cheers.
    So the GT 1030 is ~AU$120 and the GTX 1650 ~AU$260 (based on my local store). Which, surprisingly for Australia, is just about...
    So I'm not sure what is going on. For the record I am using MediaPortal 1.22 with MP-TVSeries and MovingPicture. 6+ months ago, I...
    Replies
    Views
    I had this issue using MP 1.20 Windows 7 x64, AMD 5570 catylst divers 13.12, since upgrading to MP1.21 Final, this issue has disappeared, but now have issue where remote volume OSD is absent....which was working in MP 1.20, :(
    I had this issue using MP 1.20 Windows 7 x64, AMD 5570 catylst divers 13.12, since upgrading to MP1.21 Final, this issue has...
    The much delayed rollout of the Win 10 x64 1809 update finally arrived for my HTPC but after installing I ran into a number of...
    Replies
    Views
    The throuble is here: The 'why' is a different question. Your server log has unfortunately been taken in INFO mode. You can switch the log level in the Client settings (see 'General'). Please try a restart of the MP2 Server Service under Windows Services. The service will be stopped and restarted, may take some time. Then check if...
    The throuble is here: The 'why' is a different question. Your server log has unfortunately been taken in INFO mode. You can...
    With which version of MediaPortal did you encounter the problem? MediaPortal Version: 2.2.3 Describe the Problem you encounter...
    Replies
    Views
    This only works sometimes for me
    This only works sometimes for me
    Hi there, I am having the issue that some h265 videos only play audio and MP1 only shows a black screen. I can play those videos...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom