Some mkv files do not play (1 Viewer)

decorativeed

Portal Member
November 9, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an unusual problem where a small percentage of the mkv files on my local drive do not play though Media Portal 1, either through video menu or with Moving Pictures.

The files all seem to be 10 bit x265 HEVC mkv files, but the majority of these types of files play fine. Some, however, when you press play, the screen goes blank as if it is about to play, before it returns to the previous screen. I then just have to play the movies through media player classic, and there's no problem with them.

The codecs section on Configurator tells me that it is using Lav Video Decoder for HEVC playback. I'm running version 1.19.0000 on Widows 7.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Might be worth checking out your video card - mine really struggles to play HEVC (H.265) movies but no issues with H.264
    Google your card + HEVC and see if it's up to scratch. It really needs hardware decoding to play properly.
    You could always try HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder to reencode one of the failing movies to H.264 (you only need to do a bit instead of the entire movie), that might show you that your GPU needs an upgrade :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom