Some mpeg playback broken after RC2 (1 Viewer)

Netboy

September 11, 2005
Midwest, USA
It seems that some mpg files I play will no longer play after installing RC2. I have been using the stock RC1 install for about five months, without a problem. I use Zoom Player externally to play all movies (for the key-remapping ability). I have not found any correlation as to the mpg files which will not play, Zoom only gives an error that the file may be corrupt or a codec may not be loaded. This problem affected the whole system though, not just MP, and the same files gave the same error outside MP trying to play.

It took me a bit to figure it out, since I did the M$ MCE 2005 Rollup 2 update to get .net before installing it, and I thought that was the cause. However, I found that uninstalling RC2 would fix the problem, and the files played again. As I said, it is only about half of my mpg files which would not play, and all play again after uninstalling RC2.

Not wanting to lose the new features, I played around, and found that if I install RC2 and then just unregister the mpreader.ax file, the problem is fixed. Since I do not keep up with the Cvs, or install plugins, I do not know when in the MP evolution that this began. But I did want to post to save anyone else the time. Unregistering that one file has fixed the problem, and all of the other MP functionality seems to still work without it, but then again I mostly just watch movies.

For any of the developers, here is my support info if it will help (this is after I unregister the file btw):

Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC2 (2005-12-16)
MediaPortal Skin: Project X
Windows Version: Windows MCE 2005 sp2 rollup2
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
Video Codec: Mpeg2Dec Filter
CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: A7V333 (ASUSTeK Computer INC.)
TV Card Model: - n/a
TV Card Type: - n/a
TV Card Driver: - n/a
Video Card Model: Radeon 9200 (128 MB)
Video Card Driver: - 8.162.0.0
Video Card Resolution: 800x600
Video Render Type: Overlay (VMR9 in Zoom)
Audio Card Model: ALS4000 Audio Device (WDM)
Audio Card Driver: - 5.10.4000.1
Synopsis:: - Some mpg files do not play until unregistering mpreader.ax

And thank you again for the xmas-present-new-version. No other program comes close...

sd

January 16, 2006
I had the same problem. Took me hours to figure out that mpreader.ax was the culprit.

Unfortunately this didn't solve all problems. There are still files that play in WMP (after unregistering mp reader) while crashing MP and subsequently windows.

merci1983

Portal Pro
November 13, 2004
Near Bremen
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello trojkolka,

i´m not sure if it the right syntax but this could help:

regsvr32 /u mpreader.ax (in the path were the file is stored)

You can try typing regsvr32 /? in a dos-box for more information.

Cu
merci

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom