Some Noob Help Please... (1 Viewer)

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
Ok so I absolutely love this program. I have been dedicating hours to make it work, which is fine because I have come to expect this from reading others posts.

This is probably a simple fix (I hope) and I did some quick searches and found nothing so I apologize if its been talked about.

When I play a movie or tv show, no matter what the file, all I get is audio. I've had everything playing fine until this randomly happened. Everything plays fine outside of media portal. Also, when I pause and hit escape while watching a video, you can see a screen shot of the paused file playing in the menus.

One other problem. Even when I had videos playing correctly, certain mkv files would just crash the program. I am guessing that with the crash I could send these logs that people talk about? I am new to this so please bare with me :)

Thank you

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Have you installed any new plugins in the time between functioning video playback and this problem? A full list of system specs will help us figure out what's happening. And yes a log file from when this happened would be very helpful.

I'm no expert on codecs, but the mkv crash sounds like a codec problem. I had a similar problem with mkvs until I fiddled with codecs some. There are some really nice articles in the forums and the wiki on proper codecs. I think it was Haali that finally cured my mkv woes. Or maybe Satsuki, I can't remember anymore.

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    Have you installed any new plugins in the time between functioning video playback and this problem? A full list of system specs will help us figure out what's happening. And yes a log file from when this happened would be very helpful.

I'm no expert on codecs, but the mkv crash sounds like a codec problem. I had a similar problem with mkvs until I fiddled with codecs some. There are some really nice articles in the forums and the wiki on proper codecs. I think it was Haali that finally cured my mkv woes. Or maybe Satsuki, I can't remember anymore.

Thank you for your quick reply!

I downloaded the My Emulators plugin and attempted to install. This may or may not have been between the issues, probably was. I am not sure on how to install these sorts of plugins compared to say Moving Pictures which was a simple .exe. Is there some sort of tutorial or something in the wiki?

Anyways, as far as specs go:
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.4GHz
    Sapphire X1600 pro HDMI
    4GB G. Skill RAM
    Asus Mobo
    Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
    Not sure on what the procedure is with the log files. Is that little balloon that pops up after media portal crashes what to do with the log files?

I have haali now, i wil try Satsuki, but that will probably be noticeable after I fix my first problem.

Thanks again for the replies and the patience

*Just figured out how to install plugins...simple*

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The decoder must be working, or the video wouldn't appear in the little window in the menus after backing out.

Have you changed video drivers recently?

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    The decoder must be working, or the video wouldn't appear in the little window in the menus after backing out.

Have you changed video drivers recently?

Yes I have. I'm pretty sure it was before installing mediaportal as that's what the instructions suggested to do.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled media portal, also all suggested codecs uninstalled and reinstalled...

Not sure what it is at this point

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    FantaXP7: Which codecs do you have installed / which codecs are assigned in MediaPortals Configuration ?

Would be nice if you filled in some details into your System Specs by the way :) See Edit System Specification for more info.

-level20peon

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    FantaXP7: Which codecs do you have installed / which codecs are assigned in MediaPortals Configuration ?

Would be nice if you filled in some details into your System Specs by the way :) See Edit System Specification for more info.

-level20peon

Just updated system specs. The codecs that I used are the ones suggested in the mediaportal setup tutorial...I followed those instructions on how to setup mediaportal and the ffdshow settings and it worked fine. Also clicked on a link for ffdshow xvid settings, and that worked fine as well.

Thank you for your time

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Run MP in windowed mode, or press alt-enter while it's running but not playing a video.

Once in windowed mode, navigate the menus & play a movie. Does it play properly, occupying the full window (depending on aspect ratio of the movie of course)?

Clean out your logs directory. Launch MP normally, & play a movie for 10 secs or so. Quit & zip up your logs & post to this thread as an attachment.

P.S. you entered you system specs, but you didn't select the item in your profile to make you system specs public. Once done it should create a tab under you name in the forums that people can click to see your system specs.

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    I ran MP in windowed mode and still no video.

I am having trouble finding the logs directory. I've checked in program files where Mediaportal is installed. Probably somewhere obvious...

Thank you for your time

*may have figured it out*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom