some noobie questions... (1 Viewer)

selenium

February 7, 2006
I'm planning to set up a PVR soon (ordered the Plextor TV402U already) and first looked into GB-PVR, but now stumbled upon MP. Now I have a few questions...

Among the software requirements Windows Media Player is mentioned. As my Win2k (I found the info on how to make MP work with Win2k) is extremely stripped down (via nLite: no IE, no WMP etc., but codecs are there), I was wondering, if there is any way around this. Can e.g. Media Player Classic be used?

Also, I plan to run the video capture on a "server" PC sitting in a closet. I'd like to watch the recorded video on various (wirelessly) networked "client" PCs. Is there a client application for MP to make this work? All I found so far, involved some re-encoding and streaming via VLC, which seemed a little complicated.

Thanks!

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I would think you should be able to download QuickTime Alternative and this should give you a lot of the codex and WMPC as well. As for the requirement of having WMP 9 or better... I have never really tested this on windows 2k. Keep searching the forums for the answer. As a last resort you could install the product and see if it works.

Currently MP does not offer any built in server/client at this point in time. Please remember that MP is still in beta and many people are working hard to make MP rock solid. That’s where the current focus of the product is. I assume that once this is done, something like that will arise.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Also be aware that users have used Nlite installations and found that it lacked things that stopped MP functioning properly. Some could correct and were required to format and install a proper XPSP2 copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Hi, must be really a while, cuz I can not remember any post from you ;) But might be also that I joined the team too late. Yes, there will be many things. Main reason is simply, that MP2 is not developed based on MP1. I for example never used MP1. I tried it lately to test voice control and was shocked about many inconsistancies in...
    Hi, must be really a while, cuz I can not remember any post from you ;) But might be also that I joined the team too late. Yes...
    It´s been a while... :) Well, simply the reason is cause MP1 was working so well... :) Now I decided to upgrade my old servers and...
    Replies
    Views
    I think MPExtended need rework for support this - andrewjswan/MPExtended Maybe better direct select to TV SQL DB? Or look how MPExtended get this info ...
    I think MPExtended need rework for support this - andrewjswan/MPExtended Maybe better direct select to TV SQL DB? Or look how...
    Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can help with the following. I am based in the UK. I have a family member who has a disability...
    Replies
    Views
    The "Windows 8 is better" part is specific to AtmoWins performance in gathering the screen captures. However with AtmoLight, AtmoWin does not have to do this task, but AtmoLight gets these captures directly from MediaPortal. So there should be no problem. Only when you want to use your Ambilight without MediaPortal, Win8 will give you...
    The "Windows 8 is better" part is specific to AtmoWins performance in gathering the screen captures. However with AtmoLight...
    So a few years ago, I helped a friend research and complete an Ambilight system for his theater. Unfortunately, at that time...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi and welcome to MediaPortal forum : ) I will try to answer the best I can. 1- MP1 is the way to go first, after that, you can install MP2 beside without any effect on MP1. Both should work in your case. 2- Im pretty sure there is no way to stream to the roku yet, for android, SPMC 13.4 coupled with MediaPortal TV server plugin is...
    Hi and welcome to MediaPortal forum : ) I will try to answer the best I can. 1- MP1 is the way to go first, after that, you can...
    Hello all, I have read through the documentation and searched the forums but I still have some questions - I have WMC now, but i...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 Windows Multipoint DE
    Ah right ok, see I use MP TVServer as a central recording place so I don't get multiple copies of the same recorded tv. So my server handles the TV cards, doles out streams to the various clients, handles the centralised recordings, movies etc. By adding a tuner to each VM you get stand alone TV's but each VM also requires the...
    Ah right ok, see I use MP TVServer as a central recording place so I don't get multiple copies of the same recorded tv. So my...
    Hi All, I have only just joined the MP but I have spent some time looking through the forums, Wiki and other sources of info and...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom