Some Q's about MP settings when linked to an AV system (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi folks....no problems this time..,.Yippeee!!!!:)

But some Q's all the same...:D

My sytem has Yamaha AV amp...linked via HDMI to my PC....and the AV amp is HDMI'd to a large screen plasma.

Initially, I adhered to Kiwijunglist's excellent setup guide....but am now finding some aspects of this a bit confusing.

• Should I be using MPAR.....or do I now select 'direct sound device' on codecs and renderers page of MP config?

• When setting up my video card (nvidia)......should I continue to perform scaling on the GPU..or do I know set the display to handle this?

• ....and again, with the nvidia settings...should I now be setting the player to adjust clour and image settings, or do I continue to allow these to be set by the nvidia card?
Perhaps there's a guide out there that I've missed...so if there's a link to that..?;)

MP continues to be a great piece of kit.....and just want to be sure that I'm setting up correctly for best performance.

Kev

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Ah, okay, you didn't add a link so I hadn't realised it was the same guide.

Ultimately audio and video quality is probably subjective and a matter of taste, so you could just try different settings and see which you like best.

If you want to know more about the 'science' of what each setting is supposed to do in theory, that is covered in the guide I linked to.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'll try to help. I have a similar setup, (NVIDIA video card/HDMI->Pioneer AVR->Panasonic plasma)

• Should I be using MPAR.....or do I now select 'direct sound device' on codecs and renderers page of MP config?
    Yes. Set Audio Renderer to MediaPortal - Audio Renderer in Configuration and configure it like this:

quick-mpar-jpg.130457

• When setting up my video card (nvidia)......should I continue to perform scaling on the GPU..or do I know set the display to handle this?
    My plasma is not full HD, but I've set my NVIDIA card to output to 1080p anyway, because the TV will show the video signal anyway. But the TV needs a signal that's adjusted for overscan, so I've let my NVIDIA card's zoom function calibrate the video output over HDMI so the edges aren't missing. I don't really know if this is the best solution, but until I've gotten a Full-HD set, this'll have to do. So I would go with yes, let the GPU handle it. (See this post: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...back-display-calibration.119610/#post-1001630 )

• ....and again, with the nvidia settings...should I now be setting the player to adjust clour and image settings, or do I continue to allow these to be set by the nvidia card?
    Let the player handle it if you've followed the guide you referred to. It's all on page 1 of that huge thread. Also relevant: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...splay-calibration.119610/page-16#post-1042424

Emph

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Just to add that I have three MediaPortal machines in the house and some use MediaPortal audio renderer and some don't. For me, if everything works fine without it, I don't use it, but if I get sync issues or any other playback issues then I do use it. Although I do use it for WASAPI as explained here:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...3.x/MP_Audio_Renderer/WASAPI?highlight=wasapi

It is difficult to advise on exactly what settings each user should use because it does depend very much on the combinations of different hardware, and personal choice / subjectivity.

(In my opinion, of course!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom