Some strange Probs and questions (1 Viewer)

Telefisch

Portal Member
November 5, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello Forum,
since today I have some Probs with MP.

Mediaportal needs 100% CPU and because of this, TV is only a Pictureshow.
Also the Hibernate-function doesnt work. I Could no longer get the computer to hibernate or standby from mp.
This Problem, I have since a few days.
When MP is in Home screen, it still needs 50-100% CPU usage.
When exiting MP, the CPU usage goes down to 1-3%.

I use the StreamedMP skin.

What can I do?

Can I copy the MP-Folders to make a backup before installing MP new or do I need a backup-program?

woddog

Portal Pro
November 28, 2007
Townsville, QLD
Home Country

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    46.5 KB

Telefisch

Portal Member
November 5, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Ok, thanks, I will do so.

Some ideas to this horrible CPU usage?

My CPU is a Dual Core 3000. This must be enough.

woddog

Portal Pro
November 28, 2007
Townsville, QLD
Home Country
I suspect that some of the more advanced members will need you to post your logs and system specs so that they can help you out.

If it happened suddenly without you changing anything, I would suspect a virus, corrupt install or one of those horrible windows update things that M$soft love so much.

Telefisch

Portal Member
November 5, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello,
this is my next cry for Help...

Meanwhile I tried something.
Before this problem occured, I changed some network setting.
Is it possible tha this cpu usage results of this?
How must the settings be in Vista?

Please help...!

Telefisch

Portal Member
November 5, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Guys...
still have problems.
I Restored Vista from 16th of Dec. and it works fine during the week.
Today I tried again to change NW-settings so I'm able to connect to HTPC from other PCs in the Network.
And again, cpu is at 100% !
Funny is that I could not undo the changes with effect that MP runs fine so I had to restore Vista again.

What is wrong here?
could someone please help me solving this Problem?

Vielleicht gibts ja auch nen deutschen Tippgeber ...

Also wie gesagt, sobald ich etwas an den Netzwerkeinstellungen ändere ist vorbei. Es lässt sich auch nicht rückgängig machen.

Bin ziemlich ratlos und schon drauf und dran MCE wieder zu aktivieren.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is it really Mediaportal running at 100%? could also be another application causing problems. Check with ctrl-alt-del, Task manager>tab processes and then see which app is using the most CPU.. if it is an svhost, right click on it>Go to Service and check which service is causing the problem. Report back what you found out..

Talking services, did you turn off Windows Search?... Start>configuration panel>system manager>services,, scroll down to Windows Search, right click on it>properties> set start up mode to Disable.. If it is running at the moment, turn it off.. does CPU usage return to normal?

Once connected to the network Windows search might take over and start indexing network drives and other shared directories. I had this too before I turned off windows search (pre SP1 it was called windows indexing service)

I hope this helps,

Lots

Telefisch

Portal Member
    November 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah of course it is.
    In Home-screen it needs more than 50 to 60 percent.
    In TV mode its mostly about 95 to over 100% if it would be possible :(

Next Weekend I will try to stop windows-search, if it is running but I don't think that this is the solution.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yeah of course it is.
    In Home-screen it needs more than 50 to 60 percent.
    In TV mode its mostly about 95 to over 100% if it would be possible :(

Next Weekend I will try to stop windows-search, if it is running but I don't think that this is the solution.

Ok, So when you check the processes in taskmanager, you see that Mediaportal.exe, is having a hard time, right? allready tried to restart the TV Srvice? I had it once after a blue screen, and turned out to be the TV Server that was in a loop or something..

Windows Search is ON by default in Vista, so if you never looked at it, it probably is turned on, you will be surprized what a performance improvement you will see when turning that off. You see, this service is dynamically scanning your harddrives for changes, so when starting My TV, timeshift is starting to make new files and deleting old ones, and this way allso keeping Windows search busy.

Specially after boot windows search will keep your CPU at allmost 100% for several minutes and your harddrive going like crazy, nothing else seems to run normally at that time. It was driving me nuts, untill I found out about windows search, turned that off and all was well. Did you ever keep it on for let say 30 minutes or longer, just to see if it improves? because when windows seach is finallly done all should more or less return to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom