Some TV shows not showing video (1 Viewer)

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
January 9, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I recently installed MediaPortal 2.4 on a new computer and copied several TV shows from the previous one to an external drive (drive E) on the new one. A screenshot of the beginning of the directory is attached.
I seem to be able to play all the recordings but some of them play only sound, with a black screen. For example those in the BBC ONE HD folder play ok but not the ones in ITV HD. Also Anything Goes plays OK but Bait displays a black screen.
I've tried the ReImport all media souces option but this makes no difference.
It's the same whether I use the 32- or 64-bit version of MediaPortal.
Another problem is that of the two recordings made today, one has been stored in E:\Recorded TV (which is what the recording folder is set to in the Folders tab of the TV configuration dialog) and the other in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\recordings\ITV3 which doesn't appear in any of the library settings (so of course doesn't appear in the list of reordings).
I have set the Recodings Folder in the Database import tab to the same but when I close and re-open the dialog it has changed to C:|\Users\Public\Recorded TV.
Windows 10 Pro, WMC skin.
I worked perfectly on the old machine... :(

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-04 172558.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-04 172558.png
    84.8 KB
Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Another problem is that of the two recordings made today, one has been stored in E:\Recorded TV (which is what the recording folder is set to in the Folders tab of the TV configuration dialog) and the other in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\recordings\ITV3 which doesn't appear in any of the library settings
    TV Server has the ability to use a separate recording folder for each tuner. So if you change the recording folder from the default, you need to do this for all of the tuners in your system (if that is what you want). There is a button in "TV Server Config" called Same recording folder for all cards (see this page in the Wiki). You need to remember to click that after you have defined the recording folder that you want to use.

I don't have an explanation for your other problem.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    I don't have an explanation for your other problem.
    My 'other problem' seems to be that MP can't display the video from programmes not broadcast in HD (this applies to recordings - even those made with 2.4 - and live TV). HD programmes work fine. Also its the HD and non-HD programmes that were put into different folders but your solution to this has worked.
    I didn't realise I had more than one (digital) tuner. The card has both a DVB-T and Analog tuner (as shown in the tuner tree) but the list of tuners under the Cards tab shows 6 DVB-T cards as shown in the attachment.
    I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is with MediaPortal 2.4. I'll install 2.3.2 and see if that fixes the problem.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      41 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    MP can't display the video from programmes not broadcast in HD (this applies to recordings - even those made with 2.4 - and live TV).
    I use MP1 (not MP2), so I will have to leave this to an MP2 expert to advise you.
    (MP1 can play both SD and HD, of course.)

I didn't realise I had more than one (digital) tuner.
    I am not sure that you do. :unsure:

There are four AverMedia tuners shown, but two are listed as "Unknown" type, and the third as "Analog". I would suspect that these are phantom tuners caused by moving the USB tuner from one USB socket to another. Depending on what state your system is in (still testing or in production mode?), you could try deleting the unknown and analog entries and checking to see if that makes a difference (e.g. live TV or recording no longer possible).

In the past I have had phantom tuners when I changed tuner cards (e.g. from PCI to PCIE, or from one brand to another), so this quirk is not restricted to USB tuners. I think that TV Server does not automatically delete entries for tuners which it does not find, so you need to delete those entries manually.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is with MediaPortal 2.4
    MP2.4 can show HD-channels without issues here. I think reverting to MP2.3.2 will not help much.
    But probably you could try a repair install and maybe once move the settings to another folder to see, how everything works with default settings (you could move them back afterwards).

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have set the Recodings Folder in the Database import tab to the same but when I close and re-open the dialog it has changed to C:|\Users\Public\Recorded TV.
    The recording folder set in the "MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration" (desktop icon) is used. You can change it elsewhere, it will always take the folder set there.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    MP2.4 can show HD-channels without issues here. I think reverting to MP2.3.2 will not help much.
    You're right, it didn't (the HD channels are OK it's the non-HD ones that won't display - although they play and the audio can be heard).
    There's no problem on our old Windows 7 laptop, but not on our new (refurbished) Windows 10 one. I thought it might be a problem with screen resolution, but setting the resolution on the new one to the same as the old doesn't help. As far as I can see the graphic properties of the disiplay adapters are the same also.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    I wonder if the problem is the codecs used.
    The only codec offered on the problem machine (the one that won't show non-HD TV) is the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video decoder (for the MPEG2, MPEG4, and AVC Video Codec settings - no Codec is shown as being available for the HEVC Video Codec setting).
    The machine that will show non-HD TV uses 'LAV Video Decoder' for all.
    The LAV Filters are in the Program Files (x86) Folder.
    How do I get MediaPlayer to recognise the exiistence of and use the LAV decoders (unistalling and re-installing MP2 -which I've done many times - doesn't help)?
    (We can watch the non-HD TV- but not in MP2 - with both Windows Films & TV and Media Player, but it's a bit of a pain!)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I wonder if the problem is the codecs used.
    The only codec offered on the problem machine (the one that won't show non-HD TV) is the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video decoder (for the MPEG2, MPEG4, and AVC Video Codec settings - no Codec is shown as being available for the HEVC Video Codec setting).
    The machine that will show non-HD TV uses 'LAV Video Decoder' for all.
    The LAV Filters are in the Program Files (x86) Folder.
    How do I get MediaPlayer to recognise the exiistence of and use the LAV decoders (unistalling and re-installing MP2 -which I've done many times - doesn't help)?
    (We can watch the non-HD TV- but not in MP2 - with both Windows Films & TV and Media Player, but it's a bit of a pain!)
    Please start the installer through the bat file and attach the log files afterwards, so we can see which packages were recognized and failed during installation.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    Solved!!
    After testing the procedure on the old machine I uninstalled the LAV filters before re-installing MediaPortal and that did the trick!
    Thanks all for your help with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom