Someone trying to sell MediaPortal on Ebay again !! (1 Viewer)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Its been happening over here too and the only thing I can really do is just email the buyers and tell them. The title has been worded so that google doesnt actually ever find the MP page.

They are allowed to sell it for the cost of only the media they send it out on but $20US (people get up to $20AUS here) is rediculous since cheap media can be had for under $0.50AUS + postage on top of it.

80sman

Portal Pro
    August 1, 2005
    UK
    I would of said it was totally illegal because he's misrepresenting the software. He's selling it as full version.........

When in fact the full release version has not yet been released, as far as I was aware mediaportal is still in beta stage.

So not only is he overcharging for free software, but he's selling pre-release beta software for testing purposes.

Would of thought it would be a good idea for the mediaportal team to take legal action as he is selling (and we know he is) a product that has not been released as a stable full release version. I wonder if the team would be liable for NOT taking legal action?

ciscoleal

Portal Member
    June 23, 2005
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Clarification

Hey guys.

First off I'd like to say that I don't know the people selling the MP software nor necessarily agree with their actions. That being said I just want to clarify some of the legality of selling GPL software.

1) Is it legal to sell GPL software?
    Here is a quote from the GPL project website:

"Actually we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can."
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

2)"They are allowed to sell it for the cost of only the media they send it out on .."

Actually this is wrong.

Here is a quote from the GPL project website:

"The one exception is in the case where binaries are distributed without the corresponding complete source code. Those who do this are required by the GNU GPL to provide source code on subsequent request...."

"So in this case we have to limit the fee for source, to ensure the user's freedom."

So you can't charge a lot for money for the source code.

3) Here is my final quote.

"Free software is about freedom, and enforcing the GPL is defending freedom. When we defend users' freedom, we are not distracted by side issues such as how much of a distribution fee is charged. Freedom is the issue, the whole issue, and the only issue."
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

80sman

Portal Pro
    August 1, 2005
    UK
    Thats all well and good, but it still doesn't cover the fact that the software is being misrepresented. He's selling beta software as final release software.

I'm sure trades descriptions would be interested in somebody selling something that doesn't actually exist.

In this case "it's not what it says on the tin"........

HarryFX

October 20, 2004
    Germany
    hi folks,

sure, on the one hand these ebay auctions are a real annoyance because they are trying to make the bidders think they could buy Windows Media Center for a few bucks.

But on the other hand, we all know that Media Portals default skin really generates the impression that it is the Microsoft software because it copies the design of the user interface...

regards,
    harryfx

dragon123

Portal Member
    October 17, 2005
    HarryFX said:
    hi folks,

sure, on the one hand these ebay auctions are a real annoyance because they are trying to make the bidders think they could buy Windows Media Center for a few bucks.

Actually there is a note at the bottom in small that says:
    "For Windows users who want an alternative to Tivo, or Microsoft's Windows Media Center Edition (WinMCE), here's Media Portal, a media center software which runs on Windows XP. To run Media Portal, you'll need Windows XP SP2, a reasonably fast computer, and, if you want to be able to record and pause TV, a compatible TV tuner card. Media Portal turns your PC into a very advanced Multi-Media Center / HTPC. It allows you to listen to your favorite music & radio, watch your video's and DVD's, view, schedule and record live TV and much more. Media Portal is HTPC software for PC’s, and it is developed from the Xbox MediaCenter software."

So in fact he is saying that he is selling Medial Portal... I am sure that people were ready to sue him so he had to add a disclaimer.

pieroxy

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2005
    Paris, France
    80sman said:
    Thats all well and good, but it still doesn't cover the fact that the software is being misrepresented.
    When Microsoft will release Vista for the first time, no doubt it'll be in a state everyone else would call "Beta". And yet, they'll sell it as a release.

What this guy is doing on ebay is legal and I can see no problem with it. Some people may get screwed over it, but that's unfortunately the case for a lot of ebay auctions.

The moral of that story? Double check what you are buying from an obscure online reseller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom