Sorry 3x Noob questions (1 Viewer)

Jef_uk

Portal Member
December 9, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
OK I have a separate SQL (msSQL2012) server called BORR and a PC called PROMETHEUS
PROMETHEUS has the tuners. Tuners cannot be in BORR
PROMETHEUS has a 5TB ISCSI disk hosted from a DIY ZFS SAN but that should not matter.

The install of 1.7 did not go smoothly I had to extract and manually run package-tvengine

upload_2014-3-5_22-34-23.png

OK First one
The SQL connection box keeps popping up. Why? and I mean Keeps popping up 3 4 5 times doing this post.

Second
What goes in the red box?

Third
What should happen when I click TV-Server Configuration? Is that related to First question? is TV-Server == SQL server?

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK I have a separate SQL (msSQL2012) server called BORR and a PC called PROMETHEUS
    PROMETHEUS has the tuners. Tuners cannot be in BORR
    PROMETHEUS has a 5TB ISCSI disk hosted from a DIY ZFS SAN but that should not matter.
    Okay. I assume SQL Server 2012 will work.

The install of 1.7 did not go smoothly I had to extract and manually run package-tvengine
    Not a good sign.

OK First one
    The SQL connection box keeps popping up. Why? and I mean Keeps popping up 3 4 5 times doing this post.
    In your screenshot both "test" and "save" are disabled. That is not normal. How have you managed that?
    Also, why is hostname "borr\Mediaportal". I think that should just be "borr" (or better, give borr a static IP address and use the IP address). If you're using multiple SQL Server instances on borr then you might have trouble.

Second
    What goes in the red box?
    The host name or IP address of the PC running the TV Server software. PROMETHEUS (or the corresponding IP address) is correct.

Third
    What should happen when I click TV-Server Configuration? Is that related to First question? is TV-Server == SQL server?
    You should see a configuration program pop up, quite similar in looks to MediaPortal configuration. If a DB has not been setup you'll see the setup database connection dialog first... but that should only ever show once if the DB connection is setup successfully. In short: yes, this is related to the first question.

[edit: ...but TV Server != SQL Server]

mm

Last edited:

Jef_uk

Portal Member
    December 9, 2012
    Home Country
    test and save both grey out after pressing Test But before pressing OK on the connection succeeded box.
    I think the TV server component has not installed correctly so rerunning package-tvengine in hope that may work....
    OK I thought TV Server != SQL Server which was why I have separate SQL / other boxes. BORR has a static IP on both interfaces (which are LCAP)

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    test and save both grey out after pressing Test But before pressing OK on the connection succeeded box.
    Okay, that's also not normal. Again: why is hostname "borr\Mediaportal"?

I think the TV server component has not installed correctly so rerunning package-tvengine in hope that may work....
    Okay.

OK I thought TV Server != SQL Server which was why I have separate SQL / other boxes. BORR has a static IP on both interfaces (which are LCAP)
    SQL Server (or MySQL) and TV Server can be on the same box or separate boxes. Most people would use the same box, but then again most people wouldn't have a dedicated database server sitting around on their network. TV Server uses the database (in your case SQL Server) to store channel, recording, schedule and setting details.

Thanks[/quote]

Jef_uk

Portal Member
    December 9, 2012
    Home Country
    OK I got this
    upload_2014-3-5_23-17-54.png

despite doing this earlier

Code:
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name =TvService dir=in action=allow program="%programfiles(x86)%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TvService.exe" enable=yes
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name =TvService dir=out action=allow program="%programfiles(x86)%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TvService.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name =SetupTV dir=in action=allow program="%programfiles(x86)%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\SetupTV.exe" enable=yes
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name =SetupTV dir=out action=allow program="%programfiles(x86)%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\SetupTV.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name =Mediaportal dir=in action=allow program="%programfiles(x86)%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Mediaportal.exe" enable=yes
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name =Mediaportal dir=out action=allow program="%programfiles(x86)%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Mediaportal.exe" enable=yes
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=SQLPort_31254 dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP localport=31254
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=SQLPort_31254 dir=out action=allow protocol=UDP localport=31254
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=SQLPort_31456 dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP localport=31456
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=SQLPort_31254 dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=31254
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=SQLPort_31254 dir=in action=allow protocol=UDP localport=31254
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=SQLPort_31456 dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=31456

Edit

Borr is the name of the server
    Mediaportal is the name of the instance.

Why I have an SQL server ( and L3 switches to do LCAP etc with)
    I'm consolidating most my storage on to a ZFS SAN most my servers are now doing fibre channel
    I make my lab do useful things as I believe anyone who has a lab that does nothing does not know that its completely fubar and will probably brake a business system when they test their l33t skilz.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You shouldn't have to do the netsh stuff manually. The installer should do it automatically.

Did you run the installer with admin privileges?
    Does the connection succeed if you take down the firewall?
    Are you able to open TV Server configuration properly now?

Jef_uk

Portal Member
    December 9, 2012
    Home Country
    You shouldn't have to do the netsh stuff manually. The installer should do it automatically.

Did you run the installer with admin privileges?
    Does the connection succeed if you take down the firewall?
    Are you able to open TV Server configuration properly now?

It Should yes... But didn't

Yes I have to use Run As for all installs as I never login to desktop as an admin.
    No same error
    No nothing.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay. Let's recap.

You have the DB connection succeeding via the "setup database connection" dialog... but TV Server configuration still doesn't load. To me that points to issue with the TV service. The service is probably not able to start for some reason, and therefore not running... and therefore you'd get the connection failure in MediaPortal configuration.

Note I'm assuming that Gentle.NET supports connecting to an SQL Server instance. That's possibly not a safe assumption.

Please use task manager to check whether TVService.exe or SetupTv.exe are running after you get success with the "setup database connection" dialog.
    Please also post the log files from "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\logs\" (note that is not Program Files).

mm

Jef_uk

Portal Member
    December 9, 2012
    Home Country
    TV Service won't start.
    From windows
    Code:
    Service cannot be started. Error: DatabaseUnavailableUnclassified
    Gentle.Common.GentleException: The database backend (provider SQLServer) could not be reached.
    Check the connection string: Password='Correct;)Password';Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=MpTvDb;Data Source=borr\Mediaportal;Connection Timeout=30; ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=42290; handshake=30;  ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOption...
    [DOUBLEPOST=1394398935][/DOUBLEPOST]Done a network trace with the firewall off on the SQL server.
    upload_2014-3-9_20-57-31.png

Lots of tragic to TCP 63754 I have opened that port on the server and now the TV service is running I can use the config application!

Yay!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom