SPDIF PASS THROUGH VOLUME CONTROL ?Decode-->Gain Control-->Re-encode-->Pass through (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

My computer's onboard sound conects to my receiver via spdif optical cable. I use AC3/DTS pass through through to the amp, ie the amp does all the decoding. Unfortunately this means i have no control over sound via the computer if I am watching a 5.1 sound track. If I want to control the volume I have to adjust it on my receiver.

Are there any apps/codecs that will decode ac3/dts/5.1 etc and then adjust the gain then re-encode then output via spdif?

PS - Volume tracker will not work in this situation, as all it does is link the master slider to the wave slider.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The audio side of FFDshow can do this, but there's no easy way to control the volume setting other than by right-clicking on it's system tray icon.

If both the receiver and the PC are IR remote controlled, could you not use a universal remote control with volume 'punch through' (so that the volume buttons for the 'PC' device on the remote actually control the receiver volume instead). I use a one-for-all remote like this One-for-All | Universal Electronics in just this way.

Tony

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The audio side of FFDshow can do this, but there's no easy way to control the volume setting other than by right-clicking on it's system tray icon.

If both the receiver and the PC are IR remote controlled, could you not use a universal remote control with volume 'punch through' (so that the volume buttons for the 'PC' device on the remote actually control the receiver volume instead). I use a one-for-all remote like this One-for-All | Universal Electronics in just this way.

Tony

Thanks, yea i setup ffdshow to recode apply volume filter then re-encode -> spdif
    So i now have volume control, but as you stated can only control the volume through the ffdshow config, it is not linked to the windows system/wav volume control.

Anyone know a work around for this?

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I didnt find a workaround inside the pc. I got me a new remote. A logitech harmony. Programmed the remote so it would control the pc and the volume from the receiver... But I think your not looking for that kind of solution....

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah i think my options are;

1. Get an HTPC remote that can learn volume control of receiver
    2. Use analog cable instead of spdif, and use volume tracker software
    3. IR Blaster to control receiver volume
    4. Use 2x remote controls, and control receiver volume seperately

There is a lot of interest out there in the forums for volume control of SPDIF, i'm suprised someone hasn't written a directshow filter than decodes audio, applies volume control filter, links volume control filter level to system volume, re-encodes audio to AC3 for SPDIF

The MS MCE remote can also learn some functions (vol+/- and TV pwr - sadly not mute)

for me the xp volume control mute can mute spdif passthru

TRIROG

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Re: SPDIF PASS THROUGH VOLUME CONTROL ?Decode-->Gain Control-->Re-encode-->Pass throu

Any new insights on this topic?
    Have the same problem here...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: SPDIF PASS THROUGH VOLUME CONTROL ?Decode-->Gain Control-->Re-encode-->Pass throu

There is a lot of interest out there in the forums for volume control of SPDIF, i'm suprised someone hasn't written a directshow filter than decodes audio, applies volume control filter, links volume control filter level to system volume, re-encodes audio to AC3 for SPDIF

As it will cause loss in the sound quality it is much better (and adviced) to use the amplifier's volume control.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

yes I understand that and personally I use my amp's volume control, but lots of users wont appreciate the loss of quality and I'm sure even with the loss of quality a lot of people would use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom