SPDIF passthrough (HTPC => TV => AVR) (1 Viewer)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

i've buyed a new mobo Asrock A75M-HVS it works quite nicely with an A4 APU and is a lot faster than my old Athlon II 4450e. BUT my old MB had a direct digital out so i was able to connect directly to the AVR. Sadly i didn't remembered this while ordering the new MB. Now i've only HDMI out and analog audio out. My AVR does not support HDMI so the only way to have sound at all right now is HTPC => HDMI => TV => Optical out => AVR.

Stereo tone works fine now but i do not get any 5.1 sound ;-( ?! Any ideas? / Help?

Stefan

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I have spent a fair bit of time recently migrating from SPDIF to HDMI.... think I'm finally there :)

Does your TV support multichannel output over SPDIF (obvious question)?

I had to encode my multichannel AAC to AC3, as I couldnt get multichannel AAC to work over HDMI to my AVR. When you say you arent getting 5.1, what format of 5.1? DTS, AC3, AAC?

J.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think the problem is that your TV doesn't support multi channel output/passthrough. Only very new and high end TV's can do that?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I thought SPDIF was only stereo for PCM? (Due to bandwidth) - for multichannel you need AC3/DTS over spdif

Have a look here might be some useful stuff: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1250622

J.

That's correct.

disaster123 - if you run -> 'Moninfo'<- it will read and display the EDID information from the TV. Somewhere in there it should say which audio formats it supports - if it only supports 2 channel PCM then that's all Windows will send it (so no AC3/DTS pass-through).

If that's the situation, then the choices are:

1. Buy a cheap PCI/USB sound card with AC3/DTS bitstreaming support.

2. Use FFDShow audio 'mixer' to create a pseudo Dolby Pro-Logic 5.1->stereo downmix, and run the AVR in Dolby Pro-Logic decode mode. Not as good as true 5.1, but better than stereo :)

3. Do nothing and live with stereo only....

Tony

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    4. Buy a new AV-Receiver with HDMI support? =)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    I recently built a new HTPC...only to find the SPDIF port was faulty... I was in a similar situation - Do I buy a soundcard that had SPDIF, or did I replace my very old SPDIF only AVR.

No brainer... bought a new HDMI Yamaha AVR :D

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom