Split programmes in the UK DVB-T EPG (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The broadcast EPG for DVB-T in the UK has the capability to flag programmes that are interrupted partway through (e.g. by a short news bulletin), and DVRs with appropriate code can use this information to record both parts when you schedule the first part to record.

I had always assumed that this capability was not implemented in "TV Server", but today I was doing some testing and I was astonished when this pop-up appeared:

split_movie.jpg split_news.jpg

The first screenshot is for the "Sony Movie Channel" (a minor channel in the UK), and the second is for the "RT" (Russia Today) propaganda channel (another minor channel in the UK). In the six years that I have been using MP, I have never before seen this pop-up. So what was different this time?

What was different was the way that I scheduled the recording. For a one-time recording, I normally press the remote-control OK button for the programme that I want on the "TV Guide" panel, and then press OK again on "Upcoming Episodes" to select the particular broadcast (if the programme is repeated). However, on this occasion I pressed LEFT to display the left side menu, selected "Advanced record", followed by "Record once". The split-programme pop-up then appeared. (y) :)

Selecting "Yes" on the pop-up did indeed schedule both parts of the programme to record. However, the link between the two seems not to be preserved, so if you later want to cancel the recording, you have to cancel each part separately. But it also looks as though the defined pre-padding and post-padding would be applied to each part as normal (I did not test that).

So, good news for MP users in the UK! :D

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom