SQL port 1433 won't allow client (1 Viewer)

tamvegas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Everything with MP 1 had been working fine with MP 1 as a single-seat install and my notebook as a client. Last week I had to restore a backup of the HTPC (single-seat) drive. Everything works fine but now my notebook can't access the TV server.
    Error is MS SQL port 1433 will not allow access.
    I've checked the server ports and Vista 64 lists the MS SQL port 1433 as open in the friewall settings.
    I've disabled the firewall and no change.
    I've completely removed and re-installed Client on the noteboke several times and still no access to the server. All other aspects work fine.
    I used the latest version of Backup to save and restore settings. Tried to access the TV Server from the notebook before restoring settings. Still have the port 1433 error.
    Is there something I can do to fix this?

TV-Server Version: RC4
    MediaPortal Version: RC4
    MediaPortal Skin: PureVision HD 2
    Windows Version: Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
    CPU Type: Intel E8400
    HDD: 2 - WD 750 gig
    Memory: 4 gigs Mushkin Redline 8000
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
    Video Card: eVGA nVidia 8600GT
    Video Card Driver: 178.13
    Sound Card: Onboard
    Sound Card AC3: Coax
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV 1800
    1. TV Card Type: ATSC
    1. TV Card Driver: 4.6
    2. TV Card: Hauppage WinTV 2250
    2. TV Card Type: ATSC
    2. TV Card Driver: 4.7
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Direct TV
    HTPC Case: Silverstone SST-LC17-B
    Cooling: 2 - 92 mm, 2 - 80 mm
    Power Supply: Antec 600
    Remote: Huappauge MCE Remote
    TV: Samsung 60" LED DLP (1920x1200)
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI thru DVDO VP30 Processor

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    If the MP 1.0 installer was used to install, it should have taken care of the SQL server settings when it installed SQL server, but you can check this anyway.

Run the SQL Server surface area config tool. Select the option for connections near the bottom. In there, make sure that it's set to allow remote connections in addition to local. Ensure the SQL browser is set to start automatic, & start it if it isn't currently running. Save the settings & give it a try.

If these were correctly set already, or it still doesn't work after changing them, then check to see whether you can telnet to <serverip> 1433. It should connect & give no message. If it fails, it will say so after a small delay.

tamvegas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Home Country
    If the MP 1.0 installer was used to install, it should have taken care of the SQL server settings when it installed SQL server, but you can check this anyway.

Run the SQL Server surface area config tool. Select the option for connections near the bottom. In there, make sure that it's set to allow remote connections in addition to local. Ensure the SQL browser is set to start automatic, & start it if it isn't currently running. Save the settings & give it a try.

If these were correctly set already, or it still doesn't work after changing them, then check to see whether you can telnet to <serverip> 1433. It should connect & give no message. If it fails, it will say so after a small delay.

X4 - thanks for the help.
    I tried the surface config, but found that sections of SQL were corrupt. Had to install the current full install from MS and then uninstall to be able to reinstall everything from MP. Now I am able to access videos and music from the server but every time I access recorded or live TV, MP locks up immediately.
    I don't have the port 1433 error anymore, but don't know how to do the telnet check on the port, so couldn't do that.

Does MP use a specific, older version of SQL? During the install, I pointed MP to the most current SQL version that I had downloaded.
    Could that be the problem? Or is there something in TV Service that needs to be changed.
    TV Server works perfectly from within the singleseat install, but I have the same lock-up from either client.

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The installer should have downloaded the SQL server install for you & installed it silently. It shouldn't ask you to point to one as far as I can remember. The installer has a checklist of items in it on the screen, & it knocks them off one by one with no interaction from what I remember.

Did you install MP 1.0 Final?

tamvegas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Home Country
    X4 - Yup. Installed MP 1.0 final. In the check-off list as it installs, when it reached SQL Server it asked that I download the file and place it in the temp installer directory. I pointed to the latest version rather that download the link in the installer. I wonder if it has to be the exact version the installer points to for the initial MP install and then you can upgrade it? I'll probably try again tonight using the link in MP.

tamvegas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Home Country
    Did the re-install and at first I could connect from a client. After the TV Server box would go to standby and wake up, I couldn't connect from a Client.
    I think I've found it!
    I had checked the "re-initialise TV Service upon wake up" button in TV Server setup. I unchecked it and everything seems to be working correctly now.
    Thanks again for the help with the SQL setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom