Squeezebox plugin (1 Viewer)

Ken4000

Portal Member
September 7, 2011
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi
I have searched after a plugin for controlling the Squeezebox system in MediaPortal, but I don't think it exist. So I'm going to develop it and that's why I have created this thread :)

Right now I'm using Softsqueeze (Softsqueeze 3.9b2) on my HTPC and this makes it possible to control the HTPC as an Squeezebox Receiver, but it does not interact with MediaPortal.

Features for the plugin is:

1. Squeezebox Client: Still using Softsqueeze as an client, but Softsqueeze and MediaPortal can communicate/interrupt each other.

1.1 When MediaPortal is used for etc. watching TV, movies, it will turn off Softsqueeze.
    1.2 If Softsqueeze is turned on and MediaPortal shows TV, DVD etc. it should change to the Squeezebox view, showing what is played.
    1.3 Feature 1.1 and 1.2 should be configurable, so the user can decide, if it's okay to change or interrupt the current view/mode.​
  2. Squeezebox Manager: A control panel plugin, that can manage what to play on every squeezebox on the home network.
I will start with the client part and develop the plugin first and from there implement some tests to see if I can interrupt MediaPortal and also start the Softsqueeze.

If anybody have some knowledge in communication with the Squeezebox system as the Squeezebox Control Panel does it or have SDK for the Squeezebox system, you are welcome to write to me.
You are also welcome to write other features or ideas for this plugin for discussion :)

I'm looking forward to hear from you and hope you also have a need for such a plugin ;)

ToDo list:
Version 1

• Implement a GUI layout.
  • Attach the layout to the functionality.
  • Implement a "listener" to the Squeezebox server.
  • Test it.
Version 2
  • Mediaportal and Squeezebox can interrupt each other.
  • Sync of multiple squeezeboxes.

Last edited:

Galaphile

Portal Member
January 10, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
This sounds like a great addon to Media portal.
I'd like it even better if an extra squeeze client next to MP itself was not needed :)
Not being a coder i do not dare to ask that of anybody ;)

fredbloggs

March 5, 2012
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi there,

Probably notrelated and not sure if it will help, but have you looked at http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver personally if your plugin can interface to this that'd be great, means we wouldn't need the PC locally hosted in the same room and can just have a squeezebox attached to the amplifier. Obviously extendable to support a computer running the softsquueze client.

I haven't tried the UPNP plugin to see if that works ....

Mark

Ken4000

Portal Member
September 7, 2011
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
This sounds like a great addon to Media portal.
I'd like it even better if an extra squeeze client next to MP itself was not needed :)
Not being a coder i do not dare to ask that of anybody ;)
I don't have an squeezebox next to my HTPC, I just run softsqueeze on the HTPC, as described in feature 1.

Hi there,

Probably notrelated and not sure if it will help, but have you looked at http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver personally if your plugin can interface to this that'd be great, means we wouldn't need the PC locally hosted in the same room and can just have a squeezebox attached to the amplifier. Obviously extendable to support a computer running the softsquueze client.

I haven't tried the UPNP plugin to see if that works ....

Mark
This is actually feature 2: It will allow you to control every squeezebox on your network. But I will look at it, to see if I can use it.

A little update:
I'm halfway of having feature 1 ready for testing. I can communicate with the softsqueeze player.
The next goal is to figure out how to interact with Mediaportal. I think I have to add a listener that can tell my plugin to mute, unmute etc. the softsqueeze player installed on the HTPC and/or other squeeze players/boxes.

Ken4000

Portal Member
September 7, 2011
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
A little update :) :
I have told you I would develop feature 1 first. But I had to test what I was doing and needed to manage the squeezebox. So I have actually developed the managing part and have implemented it as an plugin. So I'm very close to an alpha version of this plugin. The plugin is inspired by the SqueezeServer web interface.

Right now it's possible to:
  • Select albums and tracks to play and see the playlist of the chosen Squeezebox.
  • Set a default squeezebox in the configuration.
  • Push play, pause/stop, next and previous.
What still needs to be implemented:
  • See status of the playing song.
  • Show the notification windows when changing song or the next song begins (as the default music/video player does).
  • Configuration to set if MediaPortal should interrupt the Squeezebox when ex. start watching a movie.
There will soon be a beta version for download, first and foremost for your feedback ;)

Last edited:

Knightro

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2010
    Kincardine
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi Ken,

I'm excited about this plugin as I was wanting to implement something along the same lines. Right now I use my main HTPC to control my home audio system through some advance software. I'll attach a "simplistic" diagram of how everything is connected. My goal was to allow the PC to view/control what's being used in the SqueezeBox environment. I have multiple SqueezeSlaves running as a windows service locked to dedicated USB audio outputs that are controlled by my Nuvo Keypads.

I locked the audio outputs to the USB audio devices to leave my HDMI output as the dedicated audio out for the cable TV & Movie source.

I will be more than happy to test/contribute with your plugin if you are willing.
    Thanks,
    -KT

Attachments

• HTPC Layout.png
      HTPC Layout.png
      195.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom