SSD optimization. Use Ram ! (1 Viewer)

soa

Portal Member
November 13, 2007
Hello

Well I have the following suggestion to make.

I have an SSD (solid state drive) in my HTPC and no other drive, but I have the following problem (same problem as in Vista MediaCenter):

If you watch TV there is an HDD/SSD activity, I suppose it is to store the timeshifting buffer. That means that the buffer is used even if I viewing live TV. The problem is that this continous writing over a long period could damage the SSD.

Please. Their is an optimization needed.

Why don't use the Ram as buffer (adjustable as an option in the config for people who has enough Ram)?
4GB Ram only cost 30€ nowaday, and when you use MediaPortal you don't have play an 3D game or what else at the same time so that a lot of Ram are generaly free.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    The userguide contains a page for using a ramdisk for timeshifting.
    Maybe not as integrated as your suggestion, but it works.

soa

Portal Member
    November 13, 2007
    The problem of the Ram disks are that the free solutions don't auto-generate the Ram drive after a reboot.
    Only the commercials ones make that, and they are expensive.

So use the Ram (not as an Ram Drive) would be better.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    I used a free app for months (stopped a while back). One time setup and never touched it again. Even after reboot. Did something change recently?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Or are you referring to other stuff that must be on the ramdisk? Other than timeshift? Yes, that might be a problem. Can maybe solve with a cmd file in STARTUP?

soa

Portal Member
    November 13, 2007
    No only timeshift.

I have to test again. The last Ram Drive I had tested needed to be generated manualy after a reboot.

player-x

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You rely don't have to worry about waring out the SSD, as all SSD can now a days withstand at least 10.000 write cycles, and even if the SSD is waring out it will just shutdown bad cell's without you ever noticing it other then that your SSD is shrinking in size.

You properly put a SSD in your HTPC to reduce noice, if so there are other ways to prefent noice, if you are running a server, have your recordings recorded there, other option is using a NAS, you can place the NAS anyware in the house, here are some prizes of NAS products going from 80 to 3000 euro's
    They can be had whit all kind of different connections "802.11b/g, eSATA, LAN 1Gbps, LAN 10Mbps, LAN 100Mbps, USB"

soa

Portal Member
    November 13, 2007
    That's a general problem of MLC SSD based on Jmicron controller which haven't any cache memory and that causes freezes under Windows.

Personally I have an Mtron SLC SSD it works well. MediaCenter have no problem with it.

But I still don't understand why MC or MP don't use Ram as Live TV buffer (I'm not speaking about Ramdrive which is not a solution for every user).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom