SSD vs. HDD (2 Viewers)

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I fixed my stuttering problems without changing drives.

First I did some cleaning and defragging with minimal effect.

The big difference came when I noticed my IDE channel had been reset to PIO. I have no idea how that happened or even why it should affect anything but my OD, but getting it back to DMA seems to have solved all my stuttering and timeshifting issues.

Overall performance is back where it was when I built this maching, so color me happy.

Ticiano

Portal Pro
    August 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Is it possible that HDD lag time causes video stuttering on a machine with otherwise decent video hardware?

Based on your config, it seams more like a codec (aceleration) problem than something with the HDD. Are you shure you're using some kind of aceleration, Cuda or DXVA?

Cuicui74

January 18, 2010
    Hi,

I have the same question of Mouch about SSD vs HDD, but nobody answered about this point :
    Is a SSD improve cover flow and backdrop display in the plugins Moving Pictures and TVSeries ?

Thank in advance :D

Cuicui

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Currently in the process of building a new TV server using a 3U chassis instead of 2U because I want to add tuners, but I'm wondering if a SSD as the OS drive would be a good idea, I'd be putting timeshifting on it aswell. Would it be smart to do this?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    you dont need SSD performance. and with a proper setup system you wont notice any difference in TV quality. i would suggest avoiding putting mediaportal/timeshift/windows on the slower eco drives though.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Yeah, it's working ok atm with a HDD, but now I'm expanding to a third TV-card so the posibility for bigger loads are present. But even though I don't need it, will it create a bigger "buffer" in the way that I can do more recordings if I need it? But I also fear that the constant diskwriting from the timeshift might reduce the lifetime of a SSD.

But then again I might just put up a raid aswell.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yes i have read that it will reduce the life of the SSD. I think a regular (non green/eco) hdd should cope with that. other option is ram drive timeshift, might be cheaper that ssd.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I moved my timeshift off a HDD (that was also the OS drive) and placed it onto a RAM drive (6GB in size) - this works great.

I have two tuners in my setup.

I've got an Intel X25e SSD on its way for the OS - chances are I'll keep the timeshift on the RAMdrive as I now have the RAM, and this is still faster than the SSD.

J.

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    Hi there,

I moved my timeshift off a HDD (that was also the OS drive) and placed it onto a RAM drive (6GB in size) - this works great.

I have two tuners in my setup.

I've got an Intel X25e SSD on its way for the OS - chances are I'll keep the timeshift on the RAMdrive as I now have the RAM, and this is still faster than the SSD.

J.

Hello,

what is your RAM drive?
    How do you configure it as a drive?

Regards

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I use this one:

RAMDisk - Software - Server Memory Products & Services - Dataram

I'm running Windows 7 x64

I have the registered version (was free originally when I got it) due to my 6GB RAMdrive (4GB or less is free) - But we are only talking about 10 bucks for the registered version!.

J.

ps - From the various reviews I saw, this one came highly recommended on both speed/performance/price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom