SSD vs. HDD (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    wow, didn't know ramdisk wasnt free anymore, that's a shame. there should be several alternative free options.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hmm I do have some extra RAM on the shelf so that might actually be a good idea :)

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: SSD vs. HDD vs RAM Drive

Compare the cost of buying 2+ GB RAM for a RAM drive with a 32GB SSD Drive.
    The SSD is far cheaper.
    In addition it speeds up your OS + apps+games, improves reliability, reduce heat, reduce power, reduce space.
    Now the HDD (RAID media storage) are asleep 99% of the time which cuts down on power/noise/wear/heat.
    For me it is a no brainer.

All of my active PCs and NBs have SSDs now.
    SSDs cost me $100 for each PC.
    I run XP so 40GB is more than enough for OS + Apps + large Videobuffer.
    I have tried using the RAM drive but I am limited to 4GB max RAM by the XP OS.
    So if I take up 2GB for RAM Drive for various temporary storage needs then I only have 2GB for OS and Apps and Gaming.
    Windows 7 increases the max RAM limit but there is still the cost.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Windows XP supports 128GB of memory, it's only the 32-bit version thats stuck at 4GB, but that's a 32-bit problem, not a Windows problem.

To me there is no extra cost for using a RAMdisk (other then the $10 for the program) since I already have an 8GB set on the shelf after upgrading my desktop to DDR3, and I think 4-6GB should be enough for timeshifting should it not?

Buying an SSD would be an extra cost though since I don't have one of those on the shelf.

There is no use in speeding up OS, apps and games on this computer either, since all it does is working as a TVserver. The only thing I'm concerned with is if the disk can handle timeshifting/recording on lets say 6 channels at once (3 live and 3 record).

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Are your channels HD or SD?
    For HD I think you want at least 2GB per channel for timeshift otherwise your buffer time would get too short.
    Clearly RAMdisk is a perfect fit for your needs.

[
    PS
    if you fill out your My System details (shown below Country) then you can share your specification and it will auto fill when you post a new question. This is located in the User CP via the menu bar.
    ]

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I only have one HD-channel atm, but now I just found out that I used the last 4GB of the 8GB set I had in the new Shuttle PC for my grandfather, so I guess I'll just use my raid for a while and get a SSD later on.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i considering buying an SSD for my htpc (using MP of course)

i feel like 40gig wont be enough when programs run for several hours and a record might end up being over 20 gig...and win7 takes up 20gig ...errhh...would i tell MP to record to my old 500G sataII drive instead of the SSD?

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: SSD vs. HDD

Hi,

I have the same question of Mouch about SSD vs HDD, but nobody answered about this point :
    Is a SSD improve cover flow and backdrop display in the plugins Moving Pictures and TVSeries ?

Thank in advance :D

Cuicui

Cant compare because i changed back to mp and switched to ssd at the same time.
    Movin Pictures with 430 movies db shows up all cover pictures close to instantly.

Backdrop takes noticeable longer. Dont know if this is even a feature/setting.

System boot is quiet fast, except of the loooong post process my mainboard does.
    Expected MP to load faster. Anyway, most times i do not see the desktop. First picture
    is MP splash.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    SSD for system (windows + MP), hdd or ramdrive for timeshift, hdd for recordings, pictures, mp3-s, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom