Stability: Creating a MP CORE system (1 Viewer)

Is the CORE system a good Idea to enhance stability

• Total voters

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi, I have a sugestion for creating a MP core system. A number of other users have hinted about this and I think it is a good idea to reaky get a good and stable Media Portal.

The Idea is to create a reference MP CORE that can be tested for STABLILTY and for PERFORMANCE.

What needs to been in the MP CORE:

Video watching
    Music Playing
    Image Displaying
    TV watching and recording

This is I think the core of MP. Nothing else, but it can be discussed here I think.

The idea of a core is to try to get it as stable as possible and the extend with plugins on to that.

That means 1 language and 1 skin to keep is as core as possible.That also means losing everything else and putting it in as a plugin.

Other issues.

Hardware support.

Only MCE remotes for now go into the core
    Only DVB and analoge TV recievers with 100% compaitbility with MS MCE 2005 go into the core. Again to avoid conflicts

Software support.

Only use .NET 2.0

Codecs:
    Supply the FFDshow version inside the MP so we know what codecs ar beening used Again to avoid conflicts

Drivers:

Everyone uses the same driver. If U dont have the right drivers MP CORE will not install. Again to avoid conflicts and have a refference for preformance

1 WHQL videocard driver (say nvidia 85.81)
    1 WHQL sound driver ( is this possible ? )

Stuff outside the CORE
    No Weather
    No IMDB support
    No Subs
    No radio
    etc...

Again to try to get it as stable as possible, stuff can always be added using plugins

What do You all think about this idea

EDIT:
    perhaps I was not so clear.

The purpose of the MP CORE system is a TESTING ONLY version. So the normal 0.2 versions and so on are always available.

The MP CORE will only be used by testers to see what goes wrong

80sman

Portal Pro
    August 1, 2005
    UK
    I'd say no to this......

I think mediaportal is a great application and as it stands at the minute it is setup with only a core. If you disable all the plugins from the setup menu you are left with only the core.

I think stability is still an issue, I don't think it's been cracked yet with RC2. But I think making it work with just one skin wouldn't effect stability but would just be more boring.

I believe people have made reference to it being a service, this I think would be a good idea but I beleive there would be a lot of work involved.

I think the teams doing a brilliant job with this software and I look forward to it's progress.

moltas

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2005
    Sweden
    Since I am not a programmer I can't say if it's a good idea or not...I fully trust the developers to be able to judge that. I must say that the 0.2 version seems to be a real quatum leap and it feels stable so far.

/Moltas

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd also say no.

This sounds like getting into the realms of what MS have done with MCE, i.e. certified hardware support only - I'd say this limits the audience to be more consumer based, those who go to PC World and buy a packaged HTPC.

I'm all for greater stability & performance and I believe the developers are going down that route with the existing codebase, I've been using MP for 18 months since v0.0.0.8 (or something like that :wink: ) and it's amazing the progress that has been made since then. I'm willing to wait for the development to take its course and upgrade as and when releases or bug fixes come out.

For those who would not be willing to wait for the MP product to mature, I'd say go and buy MCE.

I also suspect what you highlight as core components is personal, for me I use Radio & Pictures a lot as well as Video/Music & TV.

80sman

Portal Pro
    August 1, 2005
    UK
    For testing purposes only........

Probably would be better to post this thread on the testing forum then?!

http://mediaportal.elite-squad.net/forum/index.php

Not sure I see the point, normally it's hardware driver issues that cause problems or highlight weak areas........ think it's a vital part of the testing process to test as many different configs as you wish to support.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I also think this probably isn't a good idea.

This would increase the workload for the devs. They are always sworking on the TV engine so there would be duplication to make sure the core system always has the same version for testing purposes.

If people want to test MP, then why can't they simply use the latest release version, which is the best way to test anyway?

I also don't like the idea of saying that to test on the core system you have to have an MCE remote (or nothing) and nVidia hardware.

As far as stability, I am very happy with RC2. It's not like the devs are breaking things constantly. I think they do a great job keeping a fast upgrade schedule and letting users utilise their work in progress and still not break anything.

I don't want to be overly negative but I really can't see any benefit in this. Maybe others will have some idea of benefits that I've missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom