Stability of MP under Win7 x64 (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Not so long ago people were reporting that there were some stability issues with MP on Win7 x64 and I was wondering if that's still the case.

I know MP is a x86 application. I just would like to use Win7 x64 for other reasons but not if MP is going to have problems with it.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
This is not a bug report. Moved to MP 1 talk.

Sorry, didn't realise that area was only for bugreports as it says "This forum will be used to discuss the development of 1.3.0 Alpha". Anyway, I know better now ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1346385718][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm running Win7 x64 and I haven't had any stability probs.

Thanks. I do too on my own PC and haven't noticed any particular problems but I just want to be careful with the PC I'm building for my brother. I don't even know what the problems were but I know some people reported they went back to x86 because of them.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Thanks guys, sounds like it should be OK then. I'll go with x64.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Doveman,

I tried it when I put an SSD in my main HTPC and it was terrible. It could have been the drivers for the TV Tuners, may have been the Mobo - I particularly struggled (IIRC) sourcing the correct drivers for my Hauppauge Nova 500 Dual Tuner and also for the Peak Dual Tuner. As we use MP for the main TV it seemed too shaky over a couple of days and I couldn't risk the WAF being reduced any - so back to x86 it was!

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Problems with x64 flavors of Win can only come from bad kernel drivers. This was not unlikely when Vista came out. It took manufacturers about 12 months to come up with decent WDDM drivers.

From an app point of view x86 vs. x64 makes no difference. The OS handles all this. Major difference is: x64 can access more than 4GB or RAM. Not important for MP. We don't offer a x64 build as most codecs are x64 anyway. Can't use 32Bit direct show from an 64Bit app unless the DirectShow part is a 32bit part used by a 64bit app (easily possible). As said 32 vs 64 bit = no benefit for MP.

And stability is not about apps it is about OS and kernel level drivers. Iinstall an x86 flavor on an x64 machine makes no sense at all unless you intentional never want to use more than 4GB, which is stupid giving RAM prices. It it is so cheap that everyone put in the maximum a board accepts (exception using 8GB sticks, as they are too pricey).

And even if you are not using more than 4GB. x64 CPU = x64 OS flavour to maximize the potential of the CPU if you use it or not. No need to cripple it.

x86 vs x64 is not faster or slower. No overhead, problems whatever on a full OS benchmark. In fact x64 plays nicer in general because the x64 WDDM drivers are better these days and you can use a decent amount of RAM not artificially limit your machines performance. You can never have enough RAM.

Don't even think about these days to use an x86 OS flavor unless you like a crippled machine because of a RAM bottleneck.

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Right, that's it.
    Stability (or other) issues are from past time as not too much native x64 drivers are available. Today there is nothing to worry about x64 any more. Only if you have an old PC with old Hardware and little Ram it probably can be better to use x86...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom