Stability problems - FireDTV / FloppyDTV (DVB-T and Boxer) (1 Viewer)

mcse

Portal Member
December 7, 2005
Morning,

I have been using the lastest 3 versions of MP and always loved it. Currently I am running 0.2 RC2 and was quite impressed with the stability improvements compared to RC1 when I installed it.

2 days ago I recieved a DVB-T tuner and started trying to get it to work properly with MP.

These are my hardware specs
Intel Celeron 1200
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9000 Pro (128 MB)
120 GB IDE HD
SoundBlaster PCI512
FloppyDTV
MCE Remote

These are my software specs
Fresh install of Windows XP Pro with Sp2
All windows updates available + hotfixes recommended for firewire, mediaplayer and dvb cards
FireDTV BDA Driver 2.0 Light
Latest ATI Catalyst driver
DirectX 9c
Mediaportal 0.2 RC2
Power DVD 6

Now to my problem. Installation worked ok, everything installed fine. CI is working and I can decode all channels that i subscribe from my provider (Boxer).

However switching channels seems very slow, it takes anything from 4-10 seconds until I see the new channel. Also switching channels often leads to MP hanging and on sometimes even crashing without any error message. I have verified that MP uses the cyberlink codec for watching TV. My signal quality should be ok, never had any issues with it in the past.

I have tried playing around with various settings and turning timeshifting on and off, still cannot get it to work good enough to place this box in my livingroom and disconnect my normal terrestial reciever.

Is there anything I have might have missed software / hardwarewise that makes it behave like this? Every forum post I have read about FloppyDTV contains ppl saying its working so well for them.

Please help!

Regards

/mc

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
maybe I am completely wrong but ...

I am having an external settop box (premiere in germany). When I switch channels (using IRBlaster) it takes 5 seconds because:

- I press the button on my remote
- MP finds out that this signal has to be sent to the settop box through IRBlaster and does that - I see the Blaster blinking
- external settop box switches channel
- MP anyways is in delay to the original TV signal some 3 seconds

All of that takes in sum 5 seconds (which is ok for me)

Now my theory: FloppyDTV is nothing else than an external settop box that resides IN the computer.

It wouldn't expect it to switch channels faster than that ...

thanks+regards
WeWe

mcse

Portal Member
December 7, 2005
Some more info

Last night i installed the Meedio trial version just to check if it worked any better with FloppyDTV. It did! Switching channels was alot faster, almost the same speed as my old Nokia Set top box. So there has to be something related to mediaportal or the mediaportal + floppydtv combo!

/mc

P.S I will never switch to Meedio, it felt faster than MP, especially the channel changing had a major improvement but the rest was crap if you ask me.

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    However switching channels seems very slow, it takes anything from 4-10 seconds until I see the new channel. Also switching channels often leads to MP hanging and on sometimes even crashing without any error message. I have verified that MP uses the cyberlink codec for watching TV. My signal quality should be ok, never had any issues with it in the past.

Hi,

I use FloppyDTV with Boxer, the channel changing speed was improved in either RC3 or RC4. Search in the SVN changelog and youäll find it.

Without timeshifting it takes me less than one second to change channel, with about one second.

Try RC4 instead but be aware of the "No Signal" bug that the developers are trying to iron out.

Cheers,
    Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom