Stable solution for receiving encrypted Digitenne channels in the Netherlands? (1 Viewer)

mpadam

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi MP Users, especially folks in the Netherlands,

I would like to change my MP system over from analogue cable to DVB-T using the Digitenne service from KPN in the Netherlands. The reason is that it is cheap, I get better video quality (YMMV) and it reduces cable clutter in my house. I would also prefer (not essential) to move from PCI to USB devices.

For readers who are not in the Netherlands, Digitenne is a DVB-T service encrypted with a Sonax CI card. It is the cheapest way to receive television in the Netherlands.

I have free-to-air DVB-T already working (alongside analogue cable) using a cheap AVerMedia USB receiver - it works great (100% stable) and the the quality works for me (my perception is that it is better than analogue cable). I always knew this receiver would not handle the encrypted channels - I used it to improve video quality on the main channels in the Netherlands and allow more "record and view" combinations. But now Digitenne is providing BBC1 and BBC2 it is a genuine replacement for the cable in terms of content, so now I would like to switch over completely.

I have read lots of stuff on the forums and it sounds like there are quite a few problems with various configurations using Digitenne. So... who has got a _really_ stable system working with Digitenne (stable enough to be used as main family TV like my current system is, so I can go away on business for a week and the wife and kids and use it without expert knowledge / rebooting / hacking etc. !).

In particular, does the Elgato USB deivce from Digitenne work with MediaPortal - with the encrypted channels - and if not, why not? (see - EyeTV One Digitenne ) There are reports that this device works with MediaPortal, but it is unclear whether it works with encrypted content.

Alterntaively anyone with stable results with the Terratec H7 or the DVB-T PCI card from KNC1 (seems to still be available)? I have read the stuff about the Anysee E30 - great that some people have got it to work, but a multiple complex step installation procedure with what sounds like lots of workarounds seems too risky to buy a device and a contract with the provider - or am I being to hasty there?

Thanks All!
    mpadam

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi mpadam

I hope someone more "local" than myself will respond to your questions. I just wanted to say a few general things:
    - Anysee tuners are not directly supported
    - I *think* the EyeTV One device may be Terratec/Twinhan compatible, but I would need to see TV Server logs to confirm
    - please be aware of the issue discussed in this thread if you are going to get the H7

mpadam

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Frank....

Thanks for the tip - I read through this but it seems to be more of what I read before. Some people have got the Anysee device working, but it sounds far too scary for me to gamble on buying it (expecially considering that I already have the free-to-air channels working fine). In ther other forums there are just general statements like "it will also probably work with Digitenne", but no actual examples of working configurations with encrypted content (as far as I can see).

In other forums there are people with the Terratec H7 with statements like "one time in 20 it doesn't work, that's not too bad..." - well, for me that isn't acceptable - I need something as reliable as a normal television.

Of course, most people are tyring to get MP to work in Holland with DVB-C, usually with Ziggo as provider, or DVB-S I think or just with analogue cable like I did so far (100% stable once you get it configured). I live in an area that only has UPC as cable provider and although they have now added a CI+ option. It is quite expensive (extra fee per month on top of the existing cost) and to be honest, the same issues in terms of getting it to work would still apply as this CI+ card is pretty new.

mm1352000.....

Interesting that the Elgato device at least _might_ work. Hmmmm. The advantage of it is that it is cheap, it is guaranteed to work with Digitenne in terms of device / CI / smartcard compatibility and it is a small USB device which is the form factor I prefer. Still, would be interesting to know if anyone has any other experience with Elgato?

mpadam

mpadam

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just one other thing - the Elgato device is bundled with Terractec Home Cinema software, so this would add weight to the idea that it is Terratec compatible.

Da_JoJo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @Frank....

Thanks for the tip - I read through this but it seems to be more of what I read before. Some people have got the Anysee device working, but it sounds far too scary for me to gamble on buying it (expecially considering that I already have the free-to-air channels working fine). In ther other forums there are just general statements like "it will also probably work with Digitenne", but no actual examples of working configurations with encrypted content (as far as I can see).

In other forums there are people with the Terratec H7 with statements like "one time in 20 it doesn't work, that's not too bad..." - well, for me that isn't acceptable - I need something as reliable as a normal television.

Of course, most people are tyring to get MP to work in Holland with DVB-C, usually with Ziggo as provider, or DVB-S I think or just with analogue cable like I did so far (100% stable once you get it configured). I live in an area that only has UPC as cable provider and although they have now added a CI+ option. It is quite expensive (extra fee per month on top of the existing cost) and to be honest, the same issues in terms of getting it to work would still apply as this CI+ card is pretty new.

@mm1352000.....

Interesting that the Elgato device at least _might_ work. Hmmmm. The advantage of it is that it is cheap, it is guaranteed to work with Digitenne in terms of device / CI / smartcard compatibility and it is a small USB device which is the form factor I prefer. Still, would be interesting to know if anyone has any other experience with Elgato?

mpadam

especially for you i made this video : Digital Cable on Mediaportal - YouTube
    to prove it works :)

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey guys,

I have made a tutorial using an Anysee E30C tuner in combination with Mediaportal and Fortherecord..

Acutally, I'm now using Mediaportal's TV-server for testing, and I'm very happy with the results so far.. But also if you want to use Mediaportal's tv server the tutorial is maybe useful..

(the tutorial is in Dutch)

Here it is!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...DgtYWZkMS00ZjQ2LTk0M2ItNjBlNTBjNDQ5MjFj&hl=nl

Da_JoJo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey guys,

I have made a tutorial using an Anysee E30C tuner in combination with Mediaportal and Fortherecord..

Acutally, I'm now using Mediaportal's TV-server for testing, and I'm very happy with the results so far.. But also if you want to use Mediaportal's tv server the tutorial is maybe useful..

Here it is!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...DgtYWZkMS00ZjQ2LTk0M2ItNjBlNTBjNDQ5MjFj&hl=nl

nice tut , but you say you are using tv-server using a E30C tuner which does not have any dvb-t tuner .. ??

for the record: installing drivers without unticking the virtual tuner results in no image when one closes cno.exe..
    it also dont matter where one puts the mdapi filter, in fact with the newer drivers one can use the drivers mdapifilter.
    edit: maybe u can update the tut for using the anysee e30t/c combo and e30c in combination with mediaportal & server ? :)

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey guys,

Here it is!

nice tut , but you say you are using tv-server using a E30C tuner which does not have any dvb-t tuner ..

for the record: installing drivers without unticking the virtual tuner results in no image when one closes cno.exe..
    it also dont matter where one puts the mdapi filter, in fact with the newer drivers one can use the drivers mdapifilter.

Hi Da_JoJo,

At this moment I'm using tv-server from Mediaportal indeed.. But that's for testing only (unless it is found to be stable)

When I was writing the tutorial I was using Fortherecord..

Actually, I'm using a Anysee E30 Combo Plus (I wasn't right at that point) and that tuner has the possibility to use both DVB-C AND DVB-T..

I don't understand why you say: "installing drivers without unticking the virtual tuner results in no image when one closes cno.exe.."

In my case, everything is working perfectly, without the CNO. So you don't need that tool.. You only need this program when you want to watch payd television with Windows MCE.

About your edit: I will when I have found some time.. :) But for now, you can follow the wiki to know how setup the mediaportal's TV-server.. Nothing is different with a Anysee tuner.. The only difference between the anysee and some other tv tuners is that you have to use mdapifilter.ax You can use that part from my tutorial also for Mediaportal's TV-server

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom