Standby mode Vizio 47" LCD HDTV 1080p (1 Viewer)

moab

Portal Pro
April 22, 2008
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have the Vizio 47" LCD HDTV 1080p connected to my PC with a DVI->HDMI cable from my graphics card.
If I turn off the HTPC the LCD goes blue detecting the loss of signal.
However it stays blue. It never goes into standby or screen saver even though the PC is off i.e. unplugged.
Same thing happens when the PC goes into stanby/sleep mode.

Is there any way to get the LCD screen to sleep when it loses the HDMI signal?
Do I have the wrong TV cable that is somehow looping back a signal from the LCD back to itself.
I have never seen any normal LCD monitor do this. Normally an LCD display will detect the signal loss, put a message on the screen to that effect, and then go into standby after 10 seconds or so.

I don't get any such message on the screen in my set up. I do not have any other HDMI monitors.
Here are some ideas for testing....

unplug the video cable from the PC (DVI connector) - does it result in same blue screen.
unplug the video cable from the TV (HDMI connector) - does it result in same blue screen.
test what the LCD does when it loses signal from a different input - e.g. RC jack, coax cable.
try the second HDMI port in the LCD.

Anyone encountered this issue or have any other ideas before I start?

tillz0r

Portal Member
February 10, 2009
Hi,
Doubt this will help you but I have the same issue with my TV (samsung), however I switched from HDMI back to DVI when I changed video cards. When using DVI my TV does go to sleep.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's basically historical - computer monitors are designed to go to standby when the video signal disappears, TV's generally aren't (my Panasonic LCD TV doesn't go to standby, for example).

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom