[solved] Standby problems after getting rid of homegroup or TVServerKodi install (1 Viewer)

c 4

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Hi everyone,

after I left windows homegroup (now using linux compatible shares) and installed TVServerKodi-1.12.0.129.mpe1 my HTPC (with mp 1.13.0) did not go to standby any more. Since on the ubuntu client I could not get MediaPortal PVR addon to launch in kodi and I suspected TVServerKodi to be responsible for the standby issues, I tried removing TVServerKodi. So in MediaPortal Extension Manager it is not displayed (guess I uninstalled it from there) but in TVServerConfiguration, TVServerKodi is unchecked but still visible (normal?).
Some time after that and re-applying the power scheduler settings, I noticed that the HTPC actually was in standby. Unfortunately, it was slow to wake up and I could not access TV (no free card...) from the client-PC. On the HTPC, the desktop was displayed with Mediaportal minimized - I could not maximise it. Had to reboot so it works again but standby problems persist.

Power scheduler: "standby prevented by:" nothing

Please have a look at my logs [removed].

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but in TVServerConfiguration, TVServerKodi is unchecked but still visible (normal?).
    This means the plugin is still installed; just disabled.
    If you had uninstalled the plugin I'd expect it wouldn't even be listed.

Unfortunately, it was slow to wake up...
    Please specify the date and time when this happened, and define what you mean by "slow" (5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds...???).

...and I could not access TV (no free card...) from the client-PC.
    I can't help with this since you apparently haven't supplied the log files from the client, and you also didn't specify the date/time when you tried to "access TV".

On the HTPC, the desktop was displayed with Mediaportal minimized - I could not maximise it.
    Do you really mean minimised, or do you mean that MP was in the system tray, or...?
    (A screenshot would have been helpful.)

Had to reboot so it works again but standby problems persist.
    Please clarify what you mean by "standby problems".
    Do you mean the PC won't go into standby?
    ...or do you mean the PC won't wake from standby?
    ...or both???

Where/when are you reading this?
    When I look at the TV Server log file it says:
    [2016-01-31 11:36:23,721] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: StandbyWakeupThread triggered by check interval
    [2016-01-31 11:36:23,737] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: LoadSettings()
    [2016-01-31 11:36:23,768] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: SetWakeupTimer()
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,690] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Inspecting Scheduled Recordings: 01.02.2016 20:53:00
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,705] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Set wakeup timer to wakeup system at 01.02.2016 20:52:00
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,705] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: CheckForStandby()
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,705] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Inspecting Processes (MP client inactive): StandbyPrevented
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,721] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: SetStandbyMode(StandbyPrevented)
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,721] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: System is busy and should not go to standby

c 4

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Thanks for your reply. This all happened this January after I left homegoup and tried TVServerKodi - certainly after 3rd Jan, perhaps 4.-9.

but in TVServerConfiguration, TVServerKodi is unchecked but still visible (normal?).
    This means the plugin is still installed; just disabled.
    If you had uninstalled the plugin I'd expect it wouldn't even be listed.
    But it is not listed in MediaPortal Extension Manager - unfortunately I don't remember if it ever was there but I do remember that I uninstalled it, so it most probably was there. Sorry, I never installed an extension before and I think it might have been a good idea if I kept it that way. Perhaps I should reinstall and uninstall it again, but then I could as well reinstall whole mp and hopefully solve this mess that way.

Unfortunately, it was slow to wake up...
    Please specify the date and time when this happened, and define what you mean by "slow" (5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds...???).
    Sorry I really can't give precise dates, last 7-10 days would be my best guess. With slow I meant unusually not-smooth in contrast to the below 5 second launch I usually get from the ssd, hard to describe this - it was obviously different so I instantly knew something was wrong. Still it started in less than 30s. Also it was not enough to open a HTPC folder from the client or press a keyboard key of the HTPC - I had to push the (blinking, indicating standby) power button of the HTPC to wake it up.

...and I could not access TV (no free card...) from the client-PC.
    I can't help with this since you apparently haven't supplied the log files from the client, and you also didn't specify the date/time when you tried to "access TV".
    No need to fix this on its own, this standby related mp freeze is just a symptom of the standby problem. I expect it to be solved once the standby is repaired.

On the HTPC, the desktop was displayed with Mediaportal minimized - I could not maximise it.
    Do you really mean minimised, or do you mean that MP was in the system tray, or...?
    (A screenshot would have been helpful.)
    Sorry I'm stupid: what is the difference between minimised and in tray? What I meant was that when I switched the display on, the desktop was shown (in contrast to the usual fullscreen mp) and the mp icon in the taskbar was embossed (indicating that the program was running). Something like that:

But if I clicked on it, mp did not react and also I could not quit it from the right-click menu of the taskbar icon. So I did a reboot.

Had to reboot so it works again but standby problems persist.
    Please clarify what you mean by "standby problems".
    Do you mean the PC won't go into standby?
    ...or do you mean the PC won't wake from standby?
    ...or both???
    Until the 4th of January, the HTPC was working perfectly, shortly thereafter it was not sleeping any more. 7-10 days ago it apparently was in standby, but with wakeup problems (mp frozen) as described above.

Where/when are you reading this?
    When I look at the TV Server log file it says:
    [2016-01-31 11:36:23,721] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: StandbyWakeupThread triggered by check interval
    [2016-01-31 11:36:23,737] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: LoadSettings()
    [2016-01-31 11:36:23,768] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: SetWakeupTimer()
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,690] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Inspecting Scheduled Recordings: 01.02.2016 20:53:00
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,705] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Set wakeup timer to wakeup system at 01.02.2016 20:52:00
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,705] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: CheckForStandby()
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,705] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Inspecting Processes (MP client inactive): StandbyPrevented
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,721] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: SetStandbyMode(StandbyPrevented)
    [2016-01-31 11:36:24,721] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: System is busy and should not go to standby
    I closed MP before exporting the logs so "client inactive" is expected. I am speaking of the last two months when I never noticed mp being in standby apart from the last two weeks including the wakeup problem mentioned above. Also I used powercfg -requests that usually did not return anything blocking standby.
    The message "System is busy and should not go to standby" does not make sense to me. Apart from mp, me fiddling with the settings and some 10 minutes of web surfing a month there should be nothing to do for the system at all.

Attachments

• icon.jpg
      icon.jpg
      2.1 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This all happened this January after I left homegoup and tried TVServerKodi - certainly after 3. Jan, perhaps 4.-9.
    Well, your MediaPortal log only goes back as far as 18 January, and your TV Server log only goes back to 28 January. On that basis I guess the log files are of no use?

But it is not listed in MediaPortal Extension Manager - unfortunately I don't remember if it ever was there but I do remember that I uninstalled it, so it most probably was there.
    I assume you didn't stop the TV Server before uninstalling it, and that probably prevented the plugin files from being deleted. Nevertheless it doesn't matter. As long as the plugin is disabled it cannot do any harm.

Perhaps I should reinstall and uninstall it again, but then I could as well reinstall whole mp and hopefully solve this mess that way.
    As above: the plugin is not doing any harm. I guarantee it. You can leave it alone... or if it really bothers you, you can delete the file directly from the file system (c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\plugins).
    Whatever you do, I would not recommend to reinstall the whole of MP. At least not yet. You'll probably just make your problems worse if you do that.

Sorry I really can't give precise dates, last 7-10 days would be my best guess.
    Without a precise date and time it's difficult (if not impossible) for me to help. I mean, you have not said if it happens every time you resume, or only sometimes, so what can I say/do?

With slow I meant unusually not-smooth in contrast to the below 5 second launch I usually get from the ssd, hard to describe this - it was obviously different so I instantly knew something was wrong.
    It's difficult for me to consider 25 seconds slower than normal as a MediaPortal error. I mean, how do you know the problem is even related to MP? Couldn't it be due to any other program which runs on the PC?

Also it was not enough to open a HTPC folder from the client or press a keyboard key of the HTPC - I had to push the (blinking, indicating standby) power button of the HTPC to wake it up.
    This sounds like a Windows, hardware or BIOS behaviour rather than anything related to MediaPortal... but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a power setting expert.

Sorry I'm stupid: what is the difference between minimised and in tray?
    Your picture shows the MP icon in the task bar. The system tray is the part at the right-hand end of the task bar (where the clock, volume icon etc. are found).
    Google or any other search engine can tell you what the system tray is.

Until the 4th of January, the HTPC was working perfectly...
    According to the Windows system event log some Windows updates were installed on 4 January. Did you consider that maybe they could be the cause?

...shortly thereafter it was not sleeping any more. 7-10 days ago it apparently was in standby, but with wakeup problems (mp frozen) as described above.
    Okay. So to be very clear, today the PC will not go to standby when you think it should, and [today] when you resume it from standby MP is minimised in the taskbar and can't be activated. Is that right? (I want to be sure I have understood which problems are happening now, because it seems like there's nothing that can be done about the problems from earlier in January)

I closed MP before exporting the logs so "client inactive" is expected.
    Yes, and this is exactly the thing that is preventing standby in this case.
    In other words, the log is telling you that the PC is not going to standby because MP is not running.
    This behaviour is due to the "do not put the computer to sleep while the MediaPortal client is not running" PowerScheduler plugin setting, which is enabled on your PC:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/141_Configuration/TV-Server_Configuration/13_Plugins/Power_Scheduler/2_Server_Configuration#Processes_(Expert_Mode_only)

I guess this option is useful for preventing standby when you want to use other programs.

The message "System is busy and should not go to standby" does not make sense to me.
    Explained above. MP is closed. Due to your PS plugin settings, this will cause the PC to stay awake. If you want the PC to go to sleep you must open MP.

Apart from mp, me fiddling with the settings and some 10 minutes of web surfing a month there should be nothing to do for the system at all.
    As mentioned above, other things such as Windows update installation are happening in the background. Sadly such updates can break things sometimes...

c 4

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    But it is not listed in MediaPortal Extension Manager - unfortunately I don't remember if it ever was there but I do remember that I uninstalled it, so it most probably was there.
    I assume you didn't stop the TV Server before uninstalling it, and that probably prevented the plugin files from being deleted. Nevertheless it doesn't matter. As long as the plugin is disabled it cannot do any harm.
    Ok, thanks.

Sorry I really can't give precise dates, last 7-10 days would be my best guess.
    Without a precise date and time it's difficult (if not impossible) for me to help. I mean, you have not said if it happens every time you resume, or only sometimes, so what can I say/do?
    Just ignore it. The underlying problem (not going to standby) is still present and if solved will most probably solve this as well. If not I think there is a "reinitialize tuner on standby" option that I would try.

With slow I meant unusually not-smooth in contrast to the below 5 second launch I usually get from the ssd, hard to describe this - it was obviously different so I instantly knew something was wrong.
    It's difficult for me to consider 25 seconds slower than normal as a MediaPortal error. I mean, how do you know the problem is even related to MP? Couldn't it be due to any other program which runs on the PC?
    There are no other programs, I am using this HTPC exclusively for mp, only accessing it from the client PC, there were only the 2 changes (homegroup and extension) that could have affected it. While windows updates have become famous for their lack of quality, I have not heard anything related to standby lately. It would be quite a big coincidence.

Also it was not enough to open a HTPC folder from the client or press a keyboard key of the HTPC - I had to push the (blinking, indicating standby) power button of the HTPC to wake it up.
    This sounds like a Windows, hardware or BIOS behaviour rather than anything related to MediaPortal... but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a power setting expert.
    Hardware and BIOS are identical to last year when everything was perfect.
    So there is nothing about regularly not going to standby in the logs?

Sorry I'm stupid: what is the difference between minimised and in tray?
    Your picture shows the MP icon in the task bar. The system tray is the part at the right-hand end of the task bar (where the clock, volume icon etc. are found).
    Google or any other search engine can tell you what the system tray is.
    Now I get it, since mp never goes to the system tray (on my system at least) I assumed you meant taskbar.

Until the 4th of January, the HTPC was working perfectly...
    According to the Windows system event log some Windows updates were installed on 4 January. Did you consider that maybe they could be the cause?
    No, like I said I think that is highly unlikely, especially since I believe to only install security updates I would not even have the choice of removing them. If all else fails, I could try uninstalling them though, don't want to seem unteachable ;-).

...shortly thereafter it was not sleeping any more. 7-10 days ago it apparently was in standby, but with wakeup problems (mp frozen) as described above.
    Okay. So to be very clear, today the PC will not go to standby when you think it should, and [today] when you resume it from standby MP is minimised in the taskbar and can't be activated. Is that right? (I want to be sure I have understood which problems are happening now, because it seems like there's nothing that can be done about the problems from earlier in January)
    Sorry if I am not being clear today. Today, the HTPC is not going to standby. Since it did last week, it might today, but I don't think it will. There ware no recordings scheduled for today but it was awake the whole day although the standby timer is set to 5min so I would expect it to sleep.
    I just went over and looked at what is currently blocking standby in TVServerConfig:first it was epg grabbing, then I closed and restarted TVServerConfig and it showed blocked by legacykernelcaller. Some time later, I checked again and it displayed: processes SetupTV (my own setting) - this is actually telling me that there is nothing *else* blocking mp, so it should be in standby actually.
    update: removed SetupTV as blocking service. Result: TVServerConfig shows nothing preventing standby, powercfg -requests shows legacykernelcaller

I closed MP before exporting the logs so "client inactive" is expected.
    Yes, and this is exactly the thing that is preventing standby in this case.
    In other words, the log is telling you that the PC is not going to standby because MP is not running.
    This behaviour is due to the "do not put the computer to sleep while the MediaPortal client is not running" PowerScheduler plugin setting, which is enabled on your PC:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/141_Configuration/TV-Server_Configuration/13_Plugins/Power_Scheduler/2_Server_Configuration#Processes_(Expert_Mode_only)

I guess this option is useful for preventing standby when you want to use other programs.
    And that is why I configured it that way, so I can - in seldom cases - use firefox without going to standby. Just what I want.

The message "System is busy and should not go to standby" does not make sense to me.
    Explained above. MP is closed. Due to your PS plugin settings, this will cause the PC to stay awake. If you want the PC to go to sleep you must open MP.
    So that is connected to mp being closed, understood. My problem is all the other occasions when mp is actually running (99% of the time) and not letting the htpc go to standby.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, understood.

It seems like you want to focus on figuring out why the PC will not enter standby. I'm happy to try to assist with that.

You asked:
    So there is nothing about regularly not going to standby in the logs?

The answer seems to be no. It might be easiest for you to monitor the TV service log file for yourself in real time, but as far as I can see this sample is the common situation (when MP is open):
    [2016-01-31 11:32:41,081] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: StandbyWakeupThread triggered by check interval
    [2016-01-31 11:32:41,097] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: LoadSettings()
    [2016-01-31 11:32:41,128] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: SetWakeupTimer()
    [2016-01-31 11:32:42,035] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Inspecting Scheduled Recordings: 01.02.2016 20:53:00
    [2016-01-31 11:32:42,050] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Set wakeup timer to wakeup system at 01.02.2016 20:52:00
    [2016-01-31 11:32:42,050] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: CheckForStandby()
    [2016-01-31 11:32:42,066] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: SetStandbyMode(StandbyAllowed)
    [2016-01-31 11:32:42,066] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: System is idle and may go to standby
    [2016-01-31 11:32:42,066] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Active standby is disabled - standby is handled by Windows

As you can see, TV Server relies on Windows to put the PC into standby. If the PC is not going into standby then I assume it's either because Windows doesn't think the PC is going idle for 5 minutes, or the Windows power configuration is messed up somehow.

I can see entries like this:
    [2016-01-31 11:32:58,243] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Requests preventing Windows standby: [DRIVER] Legacykernelaufrufer

That matches what you can see with powercfg. This happens when TV Server is using your tuner for EPG grabbing. Obviously EPG grabbing is a normal process, but I suppose if the EPG grabber is not configured correctly then it could prevent standby. So, you could try temporarily disabling EPG grabbing... or based on the log file, just disable grabbing for "EBRU TV" (TV Server seems to be trying and failing to grab EPG for that channel many times).

Otherwise, there's no other reason I can see for Windows to be keeping the PC awake.

c 4

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Thanks for your patience. Now I have disabled EPG for "EBRU TV", maybe that is the culprit, we will see.

Update: it went to standby and I could wake it up from the client by opening a folder from the htpc. Wow, that seemed too easy. Actually I was not completely convinced that it is solved, but then I checked old logs from last year and "EBRU TV" epg was just fine then. So I guess they screwed it up at the beginning of 2016 but I only noticed the standby misbehaving after I did my own changes, so I assumed those were the cause.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom