Starting up Media Portal... Small screen problem (1 Viewer)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello everyone,

I have had this problem in the past, but have kind of ignored it. Now I want to try and figure out what is going on. I just did a clean install of my HTPC OS drive (wiped, reinstalled win7 Home premium, installed media portal 1.2.2, SAF 6 unlocked, My-TVSeries and Movie plug ins). I have enabled the policy so that I can start MP from the green button on my remote. I have a harmony one remote that had the settings for a WMC so it can send the right IR signals.

Currently I leave my HTPC on and just turn the TV on and off. I also start and stop Media Portal and this machine also acts as a NAS for my torrent client that is run on another machine. My network is all gigibit and runs without problems regarding this issue.

When I start my sequence to start media portal I send an IR command to the TV to power on then a command to launch media portal with the green button from WMC and most of the time I get media portal in a tiny cropped window. Please see this link for what happens when I power up

If you listen closely you can hear the little beep of my remote and just to the right of the Vizio lighted emblum (goes from orange to white). there is a little red flash from the IR receiver, then the TV powers up and the VIZIO words appear on the screen. The top right is the resolution and HDMI input number. Sorry that it isn't in focus, but I think you can see what is happening.

Just looking for some help trouble shooting this.

Thanks
    Steve

kaigame

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 9, 2005
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    The HDMI output switches off once the TV is turned off. install VNC onto your htpc and connect to it with the tv off. VNC from another machine to it, and set the resolution to 1080i, which will sort out the small window option. you can't set 1080p60 as VGA doesn't support it.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The HDMI output switches off once the TV is turned off. install VNC onto your htpc and connect to it with the tv off. VNC from another machine to it, and set the resolution to 1080i, which will sort out the small window option. you can't set 1080p60 as VGA doesn't support it.

Thanks for the reply. So I have team viewer installed so I can remote into my HTPC. I can set the computer graphic card display for the TV to 1080i, however the refresh rate drops to 30hz (which I think is how it is suppose to work). It seems that stuff plays ok (when I am using the computer and not media portal the scrolling of windows is a little clunky, but at faster rates it goes away), but I am a little confused as I don't understand what you mean that you can't set 1080p60 as VGA doesn't support it.

Before when I would start up and get the small window, if I closed MP and then restarted the application, it would run fine. Why is this?

Thanks again.
    Steve

userjan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 14, 2008
    USA, Greeneville, TN
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Can't see your images on this PC so not sure what skin you are using, could it be the skin is not 1080 and therefore shows its real resolution instead of upscalling to for instance 1080?
    Have you tride to start MP with a delay ? (I believe theres a setting for that somewhere) maybe that gives the videocard some extra time to handle with the upscalling if thats the problem.

(I have seen this behavior too, if I remember it only with he deafault skin, I'm running a ATI Videocard, trough DVI to HDMI on my TV)

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

i think this Problem occurs when the desktop resolution/frequenz changes on the wrong time at the MP Startup process. I got the Problem if i start
    MP with VNC viewer from my desktop pc and then disconnect within the first 2 or 3 seconds of the startup progress. Is the resolution ok when you restart MP via the power menu? this should work because then you got the right resolution from the beginning of the MP startup process.
    If you set you desktop refresh rate to the standard frequency you entered for the refresh rate changer within the MP Configuration it should work i think.

tom.tom84

March 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi there everyone,
    I had the same problem and here is my solution (only working on TVs with VGA- or DVI-Input). It's slightly the same solution like kaigames version but without VNC.
    1. Unplug HDMI cable
    2. Connect HTPC and TV with VGA or DVI cable
    3. Set TV Resolution within the Drivers
    4. Unplug VGA or DVI cable
    5. Plugin HDMI
    6. In my case the problem was solved

Hope this will help other users with the same problem.

kaigame

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 9, 2005
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Another options, which resolves issues for me, is to use the automatic refresh change option within MP, as the PC is in 1080i while the monitor/tv is off. MP will automatically fix the refresh rate when video is played back. It worked for me.

Upgraded my AMP to a newer model which doesn't have the same hdmi issues, so the problem is gone anyways..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom