Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
When I try to run MediaPortal I sometimes get the message box:
------------------------------------------------------
Failed to startup tvserviceSystem.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException:
Requested Service not found

Server stack trace:
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryServerFormatterSink.ProcessMessage(IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at TvControl.IController.get_Cards()
at SetupTv.Startup.Main(String[] arguments)
------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes trying to start again cures it, other times I need to restart the computer.
The latest example of this was that after successfully starting (and then closing) MediaPortal I tried to run the TV Configuration program and got this error. I was however able to run MediaPortal again, but not the TV Configuration - even after a restart. Today's log file is attached.

Do I need to re-install MP2 before I can run the TV Configuration, and how can I stop this error occuring anyway?

[Edit]
Rather than uninstalling and reinstalling I chose the 'Repair' option after selecting MediaPortal in the Control Panel Programs and Features section. I was then able to run the TV Configuration - not something I want to have to do again!
[/Edit]

Attachments

• MPIPTVSource.log
    2.8 MB
Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

What happens is that your computer, which probably is a modern and hence fast one, is not able to correctly initialize the TV plugin. This leads to a fully functional MediaPortal, however, the TV part is not working.

Try setting the start type of MP2 Server Service to "delayed". While the startup of the PC will take a little bit longer, this should help to avoid the observed issues.

in any case it is not necessary to do a reinstall or repair. Just restart the MP2 Server Service and you should be OK.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    What happens is that your computer, which probably is a modern and hence fast one, is not able to correctly initialize the TV plugin.
    Well, not all that modern, it's 9 years old!

After doing the 'repair' install I now get the error:

---------------------------
    Unhandled Exception
    Unhandled exception in application: Could not find the MediaPortal.Common.Logging.ILogger service

So I'll do a complete un/re-install, follow your suggestion and cross my fingers!
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unhandled exception in application: Could not find the MediaPortal.Common.Logging.ILogger service
    This can happen at the first start after installation, often in conjunction with a DxSharp error message box. Trying again is then usually working. I wish I knew why it behaves that way...

If you downloaded the installer with Micosoft Edge or IE, make sure that you allow full access to the zip in the file properties (checkbox at the bottom) before unzipping.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    I unistalled, ran CCleaner to clear junk and temporary files and clean up the registry, restarted, reinstalled from the file donwloaded using Firefox, set the MP2 Server Service to 'delayed' and restarted again. On trying to run the TV Configuration I got the error as in the the attached file, waited a few seconds and tried again. It ran!

Attachments

• New Text Document.txt
      1.5 KB

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    At least it now works on a second attempt, which it didn't before, and I don't suppose I'll want to run the TV Configuration very often.
    Thanks again for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom