State of network streaming in MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

Matthew Houston

Portal Member
March 23, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Afternoon guys,

I've been successfully running MediaPortal for years now on a single instance PC. Never really had any issues with it. I currently have a 4 x Tuner PCIe card and it never misses a beat.

In about 3 months my new house will be completed and I'll be really beefing up the media capabilities. What I'll be looking at is 4 x i3 based systems running as MediaPortal clients over gigabit with my single server with 2 x 4 tuner cards to cover them. So because I haven't really had a chance to test it (and probably wont until I already purchase my gear) I thought I would put it out there:

1. How robust is the client / server capabilities?

2. Would running 4 clients of a single server have any detrimental effects?

3. Has anyone set this up and have it working well?

Anyway, as always, good job guys, keep up the good work!

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    A few years ago I tested running five clients towards my old single seat tv-server. So four clients watching tv and the fifth running on the single seat, it all ran just fine.
    The only thing that I feel is a big differance when it comes to getting a rapid responce from clients and the single seat is using a SSD disk for operating system and MePo installation and timeshift. Dont really know what part does the differance but this was a hughe performance improvement for me on the single seat and how fast I get EPG up on clients and how "snappy" everything feels. If you measure it it's probably not a big thing but the overall feel surly was.
    Wireless may sound like a good idea for the clients but if you can go for a wired network.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Should be no problem (I just have 2 clients + an ipad). Network is one important factor, 100MB or 1GB is enough for HD, Wireless is not so good (even with modern HW).

I 2nd 4Fred in recommending an SSD for timeshift (a quick thumbdrive USB 3 might work also).

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Matthew,

I currently run three clients and a Samsung Tab2 from my server. I have had all three wired clients running at the same time, plus a wireless laptop and the Sammy tablet and there were no issues. I have 2 x quad cards and have been watching 1 channel and recording 6 or 7 at the same time too, without any problems. As 4Fred says, an SSD is useful on the clients - all my clients have SSD's in them, and also try to make sure you use the same remote control on all clients for consistency and a high WAF. Oh! BTW, the server uses an SSD for the OS and a 12Gb RAMdisk for timeshifting.

My setup is here

My setup is in my sig' below.

Last edited:

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    What I meant was when switching from normal sata disk to ssd disk for the parition where operating system and MePo is all installed I noticed a quicker responce when bringing up TvGuide and changing channels from a client, you know using the tv-server part from a MePo client.
    The old disk was a wd green, they are a bit slow but great for storing media, but somewhat slow for os and other things I guess.

So today I use a 60gb ssd and on it is windows+antivirus+other apps+MePo w TV-Server+timeshift, media is located on other local disks along with recorded tv.

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have 2 clients essentially, however 1 is installed on the tv server. I learned yesterday the bottleneck in the whole setup is the network speed. I've also been told using dedicated drives for timeshift buffer and recorded tv also helps so I have created a ram drive for the timeshift buffer. I ran into problems when streaming HD TV with poor network performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom