Streaming From Media Portal (1 Viewer)

jwhyche

Portal Member
March 31, 2006
I've been searching the forums and I'm finding a lot of threads on streaming media to media portal from the internet. I want to do it backwards. I want to stream content from media portal to the browsers around my house. So I don't have to install MP on every laptop I have or that comes in.

That way someone can just kick back, point a browser at my MP server and watch a movie. I want to use MP for this because I want it to stream the music and movies that it has access to and use its database instead of me having to maintain 2 databases for this.

Dodgy Bob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    +1 for this.

Well, I want a web interface to the TV server so I can manage TV recordings from whereever.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    @ Dodgy Bob: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/community-plugins-294/self-contained-web-server-interface-27320/
    This is a Web-interface for the TVserver.

@OP: I completely Agree. Right now we see a Web interface for the TV-server with the ability to stream LiveTV and Recorded TV. We see the same for and iPhone interface. For streaming Movies and other stuff, we have to go to 3-party software like Orb or Tversity.
    What we really need, is one combined solution, like MCE and VMC has with Webguide. Take MediaPortals TVserver, combine it with Moving Pictures and TVseries with FanArt support and put all of this on a nice looking webpage with the ability to stream video and audio and we have a sweet webinterface.
    I don't see this happening anytime soon though, unfortunately.

I posted this thread, to get some ideas in this regard and in the hope that the developers of the different Webinterface/streaming solutions could possibly use some of each others ideas.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...e-streaming-client-different-platforms-53571/

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I to am very interested in something like this!!!!! I think the idea of only having to setup one installation make changes to one box and have everyone affected is the ultimate. I know a lot of people have massive servers that could handle the load to mulitple streams. I know that TV Server is on the right path, but I want to do everything off one server. I'll check back for comments on this.

_DW_

February 17, 2009
    Massive servers is not really an issue anymore today. Just about any computer that is less than 5 years old should be able to handle all the streams that a normal house hold would use. This time last year I had all my content stored on a single core AMD 3500 running server 2003. At one point I was streaming video to the 2 htpc's, my daughters laptop, and some music out to the pool. I also had a video playing on the main desktop while encoding some more video to stuff on the server. So server load will not be an issue for most people

I got a buddy in the next cube that did something close to this, but he streams his stuff over the internet. He can be sitting in a airport watching a movie off his box at the house. This really isn't this hard to do, its hooking it into the MP database will be most of the work. I don't imagine that would be hard ether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom