Streaming Media From Cloud Storage (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Has anybody managed to succesfully stream their media from a cloud storage service? Im considering uploading all of my content to a cloud server and using the web address as the location for MP to stream everything from.

Is this possible through mediaportal as Justcloud do an unlimited data service for around £35/year, which is ridiculously cheap and would save me having to replace disks in my raid setup every few years when they become goosed?

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Hi,

how can you access your provider?

Im not 100% sure, and im just thinking out loud about it at the moment, but i assumed that data on a cloud service could be accessed by a web address. Is it possible in MP to use this remote address as the streaming source, almost as if its a virtual drive?

Only reason im considering this right now is that another one of my 4Tb disks has died on me and it got me thinking about whether it would be cheaper in the long run to have all my media stored remotely in the cloud, and then just access everything that way.

There are obviously a few spanners in the work such as the length of time it would take to upload 4Tb of data to one of these services, and also whether my IP would allow such large file transfers in such a short space of time etc, but it seems it might be an ideal way of running my media server if its all possible.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
What about if a cloud service was used along with cloud drive software which creates a virtual local drive from your cloud content? Stablebit does a very decent looking one...

https://stablebit.com/CloudDrive

juscloud isn't in the list if supported cloud providers there...

No, but im just trying to find out if its workable in principle through MP for now. There may be other cloud drive solutions out there that work with JustCloud or Backblaze.

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Do you have a link to that £35/year justcloud service? Sounds too good to be true, and I can't find it on their website, but I would be interested.

I have tried applications like webdrive and expandrive to map cloud storage to a local drive letter, but not for use with MediaPortal. However I found the performance to be sucky, I'm highly doubtful that such an approach would work well with MediaPortal. The mechanism seemed to be sync-on-access, i.e. you see a list of files on the mapped drive, then if you try and open one, it downloads it to a local cache and then opens it from there. That's not going to be fun with multi-gigabyte video files.

I guess if your cloud provider has a way to watch or listen to your content in a web browser, then you might be able to make it work in OnlineVideos?

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Do you have a link to that £35/year justcloud service? Sounds too good to be true, and I can't find it on their website, but I would be interested.

I have tried applications like webdrive and expandrive to map cloud storage to a local drive letter, but not for use with MediaPortal. However I found the performance to be sucky, I'm highly doubtful that such an approach would work well with MediaPortal. The mechanism seemed to be sync-on-access, i.e. you see a list of files on the mapped drive, then if you try and open one, it downloads it to a local cache and then opens it from there. That's not going to be fun with multi-gigabyte video files.

I guess if your cloud provider has a way to watch or listen to your content in a web browser, then you might be able to make it work in OnlineVideos?

The pricing from Justcloud is from a 2015 price comparison site here, though reading into reviews it looks like Justcloud are a pretty poor service. Backblaze has a similar pricing scheme though, so may be worth looking into them instead...

http://www.cloudwards.net/comparison/

Thanks for the reply by the way, looks like its a non starter and ill just order another 4Tb drive and carry on. Out of interest, im looking into Drivepool for handling my data and parity. Anyone have any experience with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom