Stuttering and popping audio when using menus (1 Viewer)

josh.oram

Portal Member
June 6, 2012
Forster, New South Wales
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have started getting an issue with menu sounds and FF\RWD causing skips and pops in the audio track playing, eg if i back out to a menu with something playing, whenever I navigate the menus, or skip forward or backward during playback, i get a stutter and pop each time i move up or down a menu. I recently installed an Asus Xonar DSX soundcard with the latest Uni Xonar Drivers so I'm not sure if that is what is causing the problem.

Running MP in debug mode seems to not be a problem, but when i run it with my normal setup i get issues.

System specs are:
Core i5 2500k @4.6Ghz
EVGA GTX 780 SC /ACX
16Gb G.Skill Ripjawz RAM @ 1600Mhz
256Gb Samsung SSD
Asus Xonar DSX Soundcard using Uni Xonar drivers v 1.71

I have attached logs from both normal operation (the bigger file), and debug mode (smaller file)

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Seems that you are using MediaPortal Audio Renderer. WASAPI support in Xonar drivers has been really bad during the years and I dont expect it have changed at all. What you could do is to try to disable the "Use event driven mode" in MPAR settings. If that doesn't help then other solution is to revert back to defaul directshow audio renderer.

josh.oram

Portal Member
    June 6, 2012
    Forster, New South Wales
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hmm, in my settings it has ReClock as my audio renderer, which it should be. I'll double check to make sure it's not using WASAPI and see if it's any different.

Edit. Bingo!, that was the problem. ReClock was set to WASAPI. I don't ever remember changing it to that as it was originally using DirectSound. Changing it back has fixed the problem

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hmm, in my settings it has ReClock as my audio renderer, which it should be. I'll double check to make sure it's not using WASAPI and see if it's any different

My fault! I think I was looking at different set of MP logs (which had audio renderer log with Xonar as device - what a coincidence :)).

If you are using ReClock, try MPAR as well. It provides most of the functionality that ReClock does, but works better with MP.

josh.oram

Portal Member
    June 6, 2012
    Forster, New South Wales
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Also found out that disabling SPDIF in Control Panel fixes a lot of the issues with WASAPI and Xonar cards. Not only is WASAPI working now, but i'm not missing the "click" sounds any more from menus, skipping etc...

josh.oram

Portal Member
    June 6, 2012
    Forster, New South Wales
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm still having a small issue with menu sounds. My soundcard is set to 6 channel input so ffdshow can upmix to 5.1 and send it to the card. If i have it set to two channel, i get no surround sound (my Xonar card can upmix if it absolutely needs to but.....Xonar drivers, nuf said).

Anyway, i get the "click" sounds fine if i skip forward or back while something is playing, but in menus for MP-TVSeries, Moving Pictures etc, i don't get any menu sounds unless my soundcard input is set to 2 channel which I really don't want to do.

I'm not sure if this is a MP issue or a Soundcard issue

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You shouldn't need to use a mixer to get surround sound from 5.1 sources. suggest you use LAV audio codec + MPAR renderer it's more solid than ffdshow/reclock. Search "perfect playback guide mediaportal"

josh.oram

Portal Member
    June 6, 2012
    Forster, New South Wales
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I can get surround from 5.1 sources fine, and stereo upmixed into 5.1 as well, and I only use ffdhsow because of the EQ etc...I can get 5.1 upmixes just fine using LAV and MPAR as well. The problem is i get no surround at all with my soundcard set to 2 channel input/6 channel output..yet if the card is set to 6 channel input, i get no menu sounds from MP.

Edit- i was using LAV Audio in MP, but ffdhsow raw filter for pp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom