Stuttering in TV-Shows (1 Viewer)

Henric-a

Portal Pro
November 11, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi everyone,

since a couple of month i have the problem, that while playing TV shows the playback stutters. Not the audio but the videostream. Rebooting the HTPC is fixing the problem. This problem often appears, when i start the HTPC for the first time. After a reboot the problem is gone til the next day mostly.

Maybe the problem starts to appear when i upgade my TV and av receiver. The HTPC is connected via HDMI on DENON 2200W. I start the HTPC with a Logitech Harmony remote control. With a so called "action" i start the HTPC, the TV and afterwards the DENON to switch the ARC of the TV from TV output to the DENON output/input.

First i thought the stutter problem is caused by the Denon. While the HTPC is booting, the DENON is starting too and so the HDMI connection ist established between HTPC and Denon. But even when i start the HTPC and TV WITHOUT the Denon i got the stutter sometimes.

I often regocnize the stutter even before i start watching TV shows, the MP main menu is laggy too when the problem appears. Windows taskmanager shows no high cpu or memory usage.

Strange thing is, watching movies is fine, though MP uses the same codec for both right? in my case its the LAV codecpack.

Im using MP1.16 alpha withe Windows 7 but im pretty sure i had the problem before. Got another less powerful in my bedroom with same software config without any problems + i did not have the problem for years before.

Any suggestions for analyzing the problem? Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Henric

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would carefully check the refresh rate of the video display i.e. what the PC is generating. if you do Shift+1 (! character) on the keyboard when playing TV, the render stats display will tell you what the actual measured refresh rate is - look for the 'Meas rfsh:' value. The 'Display:' value is what Windows reports to MP.

It might be that the EDID info from the TV isn't available at the time the HTPC starts, so it is defaulting to some other refresh rate - not the one you have set up in Windows.

Henric-a

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Owlsroost,

i guess you put me in the right direction :).

Thought both values you mentioned are always the same even when i got the issue, i regognized the following problem.

When i watch 24p content, shutdown the HTPC, boot the HTPC again and instantly watch 50p content, the video stutters. The Shift +1 values are both on 50Hz BUT the FPS is not on 25 FPS but rises and falls from 23... til 25.5 or something like that. After rebooting the HTPC again coming from 50 content the FPS is constant on 25.008 and the videostream is fine. Watching 24p content has a constant fps of 24..... So maybe the HTPC does not swicth the Hz value when i watch 24p content correctly.

In MP configuration i had ticked the option "dynamic refreshrate", At this point, theres an additional option to tick where you can choose a specific start refreshrate. Here i choosed HD Content, so MP always starts in 50p mode. Maybe i missuse this option for my issue but in my case it seems to work. Ive tried several times and not stutter so far.

So, thx a lot man, really appreciate your help :cool:

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Henric-a

Could you post a screenshot of the dynamic refreshrate settings ?
    and what is your screen capable of showing in Hz ?
    Did you manually try all hz settings from withing windows? [right-click on desktop > display properties > ... ]

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom