Stuttering Problems with Core i3-2100T (1 Viewer)

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I am having real problems getting a new(ish) HTPC to play back mkv movies smoothly. It stutters (both audio and video) very badly. At first I thought it was the network connection, but I have eliminated that by swapping the HTPC with one I have in another room. The other HTPC plays back everything perfectly, but the problematic one is still stuttering connected to the same network port where the other HTPC worked perfectly.

The system I am having the problem with is ...

CPU: Core i3-2100T
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3

I'm using SAF 6.1 for my codec. Using LAV for audio and video. If I used FFDShow, I get really bad pixellation. I am beginning to suspect this hardware is simply not up to the job.

Does anyone else have the same CPU/Motherboard combination and have it working properly?

MediaPortal Version: 1.2 FINAL
    MediaPortal Skin: Default Wide
    Windows Version: Windows 7 SP1
    CPU Type: Server: AMD X4 605e; Clients: Intel i3-530 / 2100T
    HDD: Server: Various WD/Samsung 7200rpm SATA2 Drives in hardware RAID5; Clients: Corsair/OCZ SSD 30-60GB
    Memory: Server: 4GB DDR3; Clients: 4GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Server: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
    Video Card: Server: Radeon HD4200 (on-board); Clients: Core i3-530 / 2100T / Radeon HD3200
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card: Server: on-board; Clients: on-board (HDMI)
    Sound Card AC3: HDMI
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Compro VideoMate E900F
    1. TV Card Type: Dual DVB-T, Dual Analog, FM
    1. TV Card Driver: 7.5.15.2
    2. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
    2. TV Card Type: Dual DVB-T
    2. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240.0
    3. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
    3. TV Card Type: Dual DVB-T
    3. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240.0
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: SAF v6.00
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: SAF v6.00
    h.264 Video Codec: SAF v6.00
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Freeview
    HTPC Case: Hyper Media Chassis / Akasa Crypto
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Microsoft MCE 2005 Remote
    TV: Mitsubishi HC6000 Projector, Toshiba 42" LCD, LG 37" LED, Phillips 23" LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi sixgun

What format\resolution are the mkv's and does using M$ video codec make any difference.

With video running, press shift + 1 (!) then F11 and upload a screenshot (Pictures\Mediaportal) using advanced + feature.

You might also want to try the DPC latency tool to see if any driver problems causing spikes.

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    I did try copying a test movie to the local hard drive, and it seemed fine. But as I said I have other PCs which play the same movies without fault, so I don't think the problem is the server end of things (a Drobo FS). I've also moved the PC to another network port, which works fine with another HTPC and I still get the stuttering. So, it could possibly be a NIC problem in the new HTPC. Also, I have tried another HTPC on the port in my movie viewing room (where the new HTPC "resides") and that's fine too. So, the network cabling isn't at fault anywhere.

I will try out the DPC Latency checker tool mentioned by Paranoid Delusion. Also, I'll try getting a screen shot too.

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country

Attachments

• 12-21-59.jpg
      12-21-59.jpg
      570.4 KB

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    More investigation ...

I've tried all the video decoders (Power DVD 11, Microsoft, FFDShow, LAV) and they all stutter really badly. I then copied the file to the local hard drive and it worked perfectly. I then tried playing the same movie on a different HTPC over the network, as again it's fine. Doesn't drop any frames, except right at the start and when I skip backwards, but that is normal and acceptable IMO.

So, it must be something to do with the NIC on my motherboard. I cannot put a discrete NIC in as it's in a tiny case. I am going to look at updating the network driver, then BIOS if that doesn't work. Failing all that I'll have to RMA it and try and find a replacement board which works!

Thanks for the Shift-1 tip, I never knew that.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Just had a quick thought - in the office we had a PC with an Intel NIC (on the motherboard) which initially refused to connect at Gb speed to our router until we updated the drivers from the Intel website - so it might be worth checking what speed it's actually connecting at etc

Tony

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    I updated the NIC driver to the latest one on the gigabyte website, and I got to 34,000 frames played with only 5 dropped, and they were right at the start when the playback is getting going. So, I'm now trying a sleep/wakeup test to make sure it works on resume .....

... well, it worked. Only 10 dropped frames (6 since the start of playback) in over 34,000 frames.

I'll do some more testing before I am 100% happy with it, but it's looking hopeful.

Thanks all.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Check for realtek driver update (should be realtek according to specs), as Tony suggested, or there is a configuration problem.

Sadly networking I have not much knowledge about, so maybe someone will step in and help.

BTW, I know some people have had problems with IPV6 being enabled, might be worthwhile disabling to see if any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom