Stuttering TV (1 Viewer)

beatnut88

Portal Pro
January 15, 2012
Home Country
I guess I have to post this again as there has been no response to my earlier post. Don't know the correct protocol. TV is stuttering since I added NVIDIA GTX-710 card to cure other problems with MP. Both live TV & recorded TV stutter
Hope for some response this time as I am stumped. Looked at other posts on the subject but they were not helpful.
Neil

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_28_03_17__21_34.zip
    3.3 MB

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
It would help if you referenced your other posts.

Are you referring to one where you just got a new 4K TV? If so then if you are trying to play 4K material your graphics card can't handle it. Specs for this (quite old) card are -from the nVidia website -
GT 710 Display Support:
2560x1600*Maximum Digital Resolution
2048x1536Maximum VGA Resolution

If you really want 4K @ 60hz then you need a much newer and higher spec. card. This is from the QuietPC.com website:

Flicker-free 4K - As previously mentioned this system is designed to connect to an ultra-high resolution TV/monitor. Even though the integrated graphics are capable of producing a resolution of 4096 x 2160 it can only do that at 24Hz from the HDMI port, which can produce a latency due to the low frequency. Therefore if you are looking for the smoothest possible playback then we recommend opting for one of the optional graphics cards, all of them feature HDMI 2.0 which is able to achieve a resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz, giving smooth flicker-free visuals.

beatnut88

Portal Pro
January 15, 2012
Home Country
Thanks, but that isn't the problem. As you would know TV is max at 1080i and this system can't even play TV @ 576. The system has no problem playing video and vlc can play the TV .ts files that MP can't play. Additionally, as far as I know 4K content is simply non-exist. Also, when windows boots the TV info shows 3840x2160 @ 60Hz.
This is brand new card anyway. I think from reading earlier posts that it is a codec issue - the exact nature of which is a complete mystery
back to the drawing board.
Neil

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    From your evr.log:

[2017-03-28 18:44:23,177] [22a82be8] [ 6f8] - Display (from windows): 1920 x 1080 @ 59.940060 Hz | Measured refresh rate: 59.939854 Hz

...so the display is running at 1920 x 1080p at 59.94 Hz

The video you are playing (from the evr.log again) is mostly 25 or 50 Hz, so it will stutter because the display and video frame rates are different...

Try setting your display to 50 Hz instead of 59.94 Hz.

Are you using Dynamic Refresh Rate changer in MP? - if yes, then carefully check the settings for it.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    ...also check that hardware acceleration in LAV Video Decoder is enabled - 'DXVA2 (native)' is the recommended setting.

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks. If you are referring to the video rather than the TV - all videos play fine. It's the TV (live & recorded) only that have the problem.
    Let me know
    Neil

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I mean the video stream part of a live TV channel or recording (which also has audio and sometimes subtitle streams).

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks. I tried setting it to 50Hz. No luck. tried it with Dynamic Refresh Rate changer on and off. no luck
    also, not to do with MP, but the output to the TV is too dark (fiddling with brightness etc ends up looking worse, I know from experience!!)
    so frustrating!! Was better with the old TV!!
    Neil

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    I hope this isn't a silly question, but have you tried adjusting the display settings through the Nvida control panel? Also, have you tried any of the other hardware accelerator settings - DXVA copyback for example? It might help if you could post a screenshot of your codec settings for TV playback.

Another option - try using the Microsoft codec instead of the LAV filters. There are no settings to fiddle with here - if hardware acceleration is available it will use it.

Last edited:

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Tried plugging in a standard PC monitor. Works fine. Tried MS codec. no luck. Videos play fine. HDTV is much worse than SDTV - both live and recorded. Reduced to watching recordings with VLC player. not ideal! snapshot attached

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      193.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom