Stuttering TV (1 Viewer)

beatnut88

Portal Pro
January 15, 2012
Home Country
fixed!! DXVA copyback is the solution. Thanks so much!!

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Glad the suggestion worked for you.

My only other suggestion now is that since you appear to have found a solution that - apparently - now uses your nvidia card properly, if you are still now dissatisfied with the picture quality (you referred to an overly dark screen earlier) is that you experiment with using the nvidia control panel options to switch to using the nvidia settings - which you can adjust to a quite high degree - instead of the default player settings.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Tried plugging in a standard PC monitor. Works fine. Tried MS codec. no luck. Videos play fine. HDTV is much worse than SDTV - both live and recorded. Reduced to watching recordings with VLC player. not ideal! snapshot attached

In the snapshot, you don't have 'MPEG-2' ticked in the 'Codecs for HW Decoding' section - since some of your TV is MPEG-2, it's probably a good idea to try hardware decoding for it (unless it looks worse than software...)

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks. OK, will give it a shot. The colour/darkness I think was a misreading. Have rechecked it against the UHD normal TV and they appear to be the same. I think I was thrown off because of a particular show I was watching had a few very dark scenes that were in fact the maker's intention. Again matching with the TV showed that they were the same. A benefit of making the change you recommended is that the MP menu is readable because the TV is back to 1080i instead of the UHD 3860. Of course as we know we will probably be all dead and buried of have chips in our heads before that changes. I did try using the TV's PVR and playback via USB but it was just so badly implemented that I feared going bald. What are these people thinking?
    If I wasn't a complete tech-head ther eis no way in the world I could have got this running. There is no such thing as PnP except in the minds of the marketing dept. There is no way my partner could have got this working. We have a long way to go before computing is as easy as driving a car!!
    anyway, enough of my waffle.
    Thanks again....
    Neil

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Arrgh!! After getting this sorted out, I wanted to get the &.1 audio working which I did by using HDMI pass-through on the receiver. This worked a treat but now the audio is now ever so slightly out of sync on the TV side of MP. As before videos are unaffected and TV .ts files play fine in VLC. This time MP doesn't really like HD TV via pass-thru so I don't know what is going on there. If I FF HDTV it starts pixelating and when resuming play it hesitates for a few seconds so I can enjoy looking at the newsreader sitting with the mouth agape.
    Appreciate further guidance to help me through this madness.
    Neil

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, I'll try to offer some suggestions. I think the first thing I'd try is to go back to see whether DXVA native now works properly (now that you have only HDMI out from the card this may fix your earler problem). I have an Nvidia card and I found that this works best for me. If you are still seeing sync issues then select the properties page for the LAV audio decoder, tick the box to Enable audio delay and then play around until you get an acceptable result.

You can probably also use your AVR receiver to fix this too, but I can't help you there - you will need to carefully read the appropriate manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom