[solved] Stuttering while watching TV with intel NUC (1 Viewer)

FaVo

January 22, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi all,

I have a problem watching live TV since I switched my MediaPortal Client from an AMD APU to an intel NUC. I experience random stuttering while watching live TV and TV recordings. Sometimes there are 20min without any stutter and sometimes they appear in small period. I tried different OS (Win 8.1 (x64), Win 7 (x64 & x86)). Everytime I see that stuttering TV problem.

I use a "MEDION® AKOYA® Mini-PC S2000 D" which is a labeled Intel NUC D54250WYKH with RAM and SSD. So it has plenty of Power as a MediaPortal Client (i5 with intel HD5000).

I'm using a seperate TV Server so the NUC has no USB-Tuner. It is just a client. I do not have this stuttering issues on any other PC or Laptop which I tested as MP Client. I have no clue what causes this stuttering with the Intel NUC.

Can anyone help to get rid of this problem and have an smooth TV experience?

Thanks!
FaVo

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi and welcome FaVo,

We're happy to help you, but you need to fill in your system specs and post logs, or else it's simply guessing.
    See my signature for the links.

FaVo

January 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Jeroen,

thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if this is all you need but let's try... I added the System Specs and here is a (hopefully the correct) log file.
    There was a stutter a few seconds before I closed the MediaPortal an created the log file. I hope this helps.

Thanks
    FaVo

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi FaVo,

There are a couple of -A/V buffers in your logs (ran out of buffer) which could have caused the stutter.
    There are a few things you can try to improve the playback quality:

Increase the buffer in the registry:
    Open regedit.exe
    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\TsReader
    Double click 'BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds' and set a (Decimal) value of 1000

This will increase the buffer with 1000 msec, so expect zapping to be 1 second slower. If 1000 doesn't help, you can increase to (max) 2000 ms.

As an alternative you could try UNC paths instead of RTSP:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...iaPortal_Configuration/22_TV/Advanced_Options

Good luck and let us know how the tests go.

FaVo

January 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your support!

So I will try the UNC path thing first and come back later after some tests.

FaVo

FaVo

January 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So, first tests are looking good so far... nearly two hours without any flicker/stutter. But that need to be tested over a longer time period.

Edit:
    I used the Client for quiet a while now and it seems to be ok now. No more stuttering since I changed to UNC paths. Thanks for your help!

I have no clue why switching to UNC paths should fix that problem but it really seems to be the solution to go. Do you have an explanation why this could reduce/remove the stuttering?

Thanks!
    FaVo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom