Stutters and stops in full screen (1 Viewer)

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    So, this one has me quite stumped.

Have tried ) and a few things - driver updates, kicking the box, threatening it with a static zap etc lol - but currently it is stumping me...

If I have Media Portal client as a non-fullscreen window all is good and life is sweet.

However, when in full screen mode, in live (or recorded) play, within a minute or so, it starts to stutter and stops (a current frame just stays) - sometimes audio continues sometimes not.

Oddly, if i flick the application focus around (hitting alt-tab) it seems to 'flush' it but quickly returns back to as it was doing (stutter/stop).... Weird! lol

All Media Portal stuff, including client, runs 'Above Normal' priority. Memory not an issue (32G and only using half) and drives all spacious and working normally (i did try moving around the timeshift drive to see and rule it out).

What does it do different in full-screen that it doesnt in windowed? Why does mucking with windows focus (Alt-Tabbing) seem to affect it?....?

I've attached logs, but nothing leaps out at me... (For reading of logs, I got out of MP client as soon as I could when it started happening....).

Anyone got any ideas? As far as I know, nothing changed before it started happening other than time passing....

Attachments

• evr.log
      26.8 KB
    • MediaPortal.log
      137.4 KB
    • TsReader.log
      19.3 KB

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hmmm, I was dismissing these as not related. But now; I wonder...... (the big block of them hints that it could be a symptom);
    [ViewModeSwitcher] [DEBUG] - FrameGrabber: Timed-out waiting for grabbed frame!

Looking at the evr log, around the same time a bunch of:-
    Scheduling sample from the past (3226.52 ms, last call to NotifyWorker: 0.47 ms, Queue: 0). - related?

I suppose the 6 million dollar question is - Why is the 'frame-grabber' getting timeouts.
    Guess that needs the server log/s?

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Stopped at 16:17:00ish...
    That Frame grabber timeout is almost certainly telling me something. But, doesn't say why....

Attachments

• evr.log
      28.9 KB
    • MediaPortal.log
      118.4 KB
    • TsReader.log
      16.6 KB
    • TsWriter.log
      9.1 KB
    • streaming server.Log
      962 bytes

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    These are the logs for when client is Windowed (not full-screen). No stuttering/freezing, all good...
    Lots of FrameGrabber timeouts again - but there really was NO stuttering/freezing, all good. So maybe my earlier assumption that was a symptom is wrong...

Anyone with any thoughts? (even things to try! lol)

Attachments

• evr.log
      22.6 KB
    • MediaPortal.log
      140.4 KB
    • TsReader.log
      16.8 KB
    • streaming server.Log
      954 bytes
    • TsWriter.log
      9 KB

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Sorry, there is bug(I made it when moving to SharpDX) in MediaPortal.
    Here is patched Core.dll(x64) for testing(sorry - you have to move to v1.34).

Edit:
    • small update
    • added x86 version

Attachments

• Core.x64.1.34.zip
      1.1 MB
    • Core.x86.1.34.zip
      1.1 MB
    Last edited:

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Gosh, please dont apologise! MP is great!! The TMP crew are great! My family always whinges about how rubbish the TV is when we go on holiday because of MP :-D

I will do the updates etc and report back. Out of interest, what was the issue (if this does fix it)? The windowed/full-screen difference is what puzzled me the most; I wondered if it was an odd driver/GPU related issue (where maybe MP uses GPU or renderer differently between full screen and windowed). Also quite interested why the issue appeared to come without me changing anything - I think the last time I updated was a few months ago (I remember as I had a Titan skin issue).

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    @Pablik - Installed 1.34 (and used your core.dll above; but that is the same as in 1.34 anyway). Failure-mode is same same... Starts okay, but within a minute it stutters and then video freezes (sound carries on). In Windowed mode, it is fine no problems; only full screen mode. Weird! lol

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    @Pablik - Installed 1.34 (and used your core.dll above; but that is the same as in 1.34 anyway). Failure-mode is same same... Starts okay, but within a minute it stutters and then video freezes (sound carries on). In Windowed mode, it is fine no problems; only full screen mode. Weird! lol
    Well, it is weird indeed. Dou you still have FrameGrabber timeout logs?

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Just those I attached.

I messed about with task priorities MP/TV-Server/SQL-Server and the issue changed to the skin.. I would do something, but it would be 10's of seconds before the action happened. Doing an Alt-Tab would flush the actions. Too weird lol!!

So, with some flak from the family, I had to give in. I just did a Win-10 'Fresh Start' and rebuilt - pretty painless n quick. The issue has gone away (so 99.9% sure is was my-end), but would so dearly love to know what it was :).

I'll rebuild the rest of the stuff that runs on the machine (Jira, Webserver-GalleryServerPro, iSpy - none of which consumes much resource; only me and family that uses it and GPU/CPU/Memory/Disk-bandwidth not more than 50%) itteratively to see if any impact. But tbh I dont think it will repo; I think I did some tatting on the box that put something in a bad state....

But thanks Pablik!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom