subch:0 tswriter StartRecord failed:1 (1 Viewer)

jminer1

September 24, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello,

I have an HD HomeRun with two ATSC tuners. Both tuners work fine. I can watch TV from them with no issues. Signal strength and quality are very high. I tried recording some shows yesterday (Goldbergs, Modern Family, Law&Order). The Goldbergs and Modern Family recorded okay. Law & Order missed the first 30 minutes of the show, then started recording and went through the end just fine. Looking through the logs, best I can tell it tried to start recording on time, but recording was failing for some reason. It seems like too much of a coincidence that Law & Order started recording as soon as Modern Family stopped recording, but I don't know how to check for any significance of that. Everything has been working fine for years using Windows Media Center, so I know all the hardware is good. I'm trying to switch over to MediaPortal now since WMC is no longer supported. I filled out the system specs in my profile and I am attaching all the logs I know about to this post. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

The Goldbergs and Modern Family recorded okay.
    I agree that it looks like they started and stopped at the right time. However, the TsWriter log file is full of continuity errors... meaning that if you actually try to watch the recordings, you'll probably find they're full of glitches. For example, check The Goldbergs from 12 minutes onwards.

Are any links in the connection from your HDHomeRun to the PC which TV Server is installed on wireless or powerline networking?
    Do you run any real-time scanning security software (eg. Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, Norton etc.)?
    If yes, have you configured the software to trust MediaPortal and TV Server?

Law & Order missed the first 30 minutes of the show, then started recording and went through the end just fine. Looking through the logs, best I can tell it tried to start recording on time, but recording was failing for some reason. It seems like too much of a coincidence that Law & Order started recording as soon as Modern Family stopped recording, but I don't know how to check for any significance of that.
    I agree.

The TsWriter log file says:
    [2015-09-23 20:55:10,735] [5712630] [6a8] - Recorder:unable to create file:'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\recordings\Law & Order_ Special Victims Unit - 09_23_2015 - Devil's Dissections; Criminal Pathology.ts' 3

The "3" at the end is a Windows error code:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc231199.aspx
    ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
    The system cannot find the path specified.

Note the difference in directory from your other recordings:
    C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\The Goldbergs - 09_23_2015 - A Kick-Ass Risky Business Party.ts
    C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Modern Family - 09_23_2015 - Summer Lovin'.ts

So, my guess is that C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\recordings does not exist on your PC.
    Please check the recording folder that you've set for your second tuner (remembering that each tuner can have its own recording folder).

Regards,
    mm

jminer1

September 24, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for your detailed analysis. You were correct that the recordings contained lots of breaking up. Still watchable, but enough to be annoying. Peculiar that the log showed the recording path as ''C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\recordings\'. I double checked the settings for both tuners in the tv server configuration tool and they were both set to 'C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\'. Also, 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\recordings\' does exist, though I didn't create it, so don't know where it came from.

But anyway, I eventually did fix the problem, and I wanted to update this thread with the info in case anyone else runs into the same thing. I used the Test Channels function in the tv server configuration tool a bunch of times to test things out, and it returned a ton of errors every time. So I opened the HD HomeRun configuration tool to see if it was reporting any errors. It wasn't, but I did notice when clicking through all the menus that there was a setting in the HD HomeRun tool to configure the HD HomeRun for a specific TV application. Mine was set to Windows Media Center because that is what I was using many years ago when I first set it up (I've just recently moved to MediaPortal in preparation for eventually moving to Win10). I changed that setting to MediaPortal instead of Windows Media Center and it looked like some new software was downloaded and installed, and then when it was all done, the HD HomeRun had MediaPortal setup as the main TV application.

So I went back to the tv server configuration tool and ran the Test Channels function again many many times, and I did not get any errors at all. Everything ran clean every time. And for a week or so now, I've been recording lots of stuff, many overlapping shows, and so far not one single issue. Everything is recording as expected and all the recordings are crystal clear, no breakups or errors or any other problems. So in the end, the problem was a bit of user error on my part, but not with MediaPortal directly. Evidently, the HD HomeRun has to be setup specifically for the application it will be used with. For anyone who setup their HD HomeRun device a long time ago, that setting is easy to forget. So if you're having issues with MediaPortal using an HD HomeRun tuner, the first thing I would check is that your HD HomeRun is specifically set up for MediaPortal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom