Subtitle for DVB-s/-t/-c ? (1 Viewer)

Nicodemuz

Portal Member
January 10, 2005
FiDo said:
I think it would be more important to be able to see the channels before subtitle support is needed, especially since all the FTA channels uses "burnt-in" subtitles now (right?).

Being able to see channels is kind of mandatory...though I have heard of reports of success to do that with Boxer. But I don't know if that was with an application like MP and use of BDA drivers. Thought BDA drivers and API presently didn't support CI and CAM.

However, we cannot forget about DVB-s and DVB-c for which it works to watch pay-TV channels. Subtitles are a big issue for these.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Nicodemuz said:
    For countries not speaking english and not replacing speech to own language subtitles are a huge must have feature.
    It is much more important than teletext, epg, recording and etc.
    Even stability could be less important, depends on how long it runs before it crash.

That's true. Subtitles are much more important for some countries that teletext or EPG. Currently EPG is nearly working for DVB-T + Finland combination. Anyone who decides to start coding DVB-T subtile support for MP will have my testing support :)

Currently I'm little too busy to start coding myself, but if I have time I might be able to help in coding part a little bit. I yesterday downloaded VDR source and it seems that there are even some comments in the code, so it might help to look from there first.

FiDo

Portal Member
    February 28, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Nicodemuz said:
    FiDo said:
    I think it would be more important to be able to see the channels before subtitle support is needed, especially since all the FTA channels uses "burnt-in" subtitles now (right?).

Being able to see channels is kind of mandatory...though I have heard of reports of success to do that with Boxer. But I don't know if that was with an application like MP and use of BDA drivers. Thought BDA drivers and API presently didn't support CI and CAM.

However, we cannot forget about DVB-s and DVB-c for which it works to watch pay-TV channels. Subtitles are a big issue for these.

It's possible to use the CAM/CI with Twinhans own software, MyTheatre and Showshifter V3.1x (can not confirm this).

Since Twinhans BDA-drivers ver. 1.2.1.4 there is some sample code included (THBDACISample) which could perhaps be useful for implementing support for CI/CAM in MediaPortal (you can see my thread about this in the General Development section).

I would also like to clarify that my previous statement about "burnt-in" subtitles may only be true for the Swedish FTA channels (in case someone thought it was some kind of standard).

Since it's only possible to see the FTA channels (assuming Twinhan DVB-t CI hardware and living in Sweden, as the thread starter seems to have/do). This would render subtitle support usless untill he can see the scrambled channels. However the concern for subtitle support is still valid for other countries/hardware/providers.

oil

Portal Member
    April 1, 2005
    Jyväskylä
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Little bit background information. In Finland (like many other European countries) we have more than one official languages. It means that there must be a choice of default and current language every time there is possibility of more than one language. (Subtitles, EBG, audio, teletext, MP display, ...

I have not verified this yet but it looks like subtitles are already working in MP if you have Hauppauge nova-t USB2 with latest drivers and there is no more than one language available. If audio is in English we normally have two choices in subtitles (Finnish and Swedish) but if audio is in Swedish then there is need only for Finnish subtitles and they come on the screen nicely.

I'm also very willing to do some programing and/or testing if it helps to get multi language subtitles, EBG and audio supported sooner.

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Hi,

Looks like we have bunch of peaople with same problem.
    What would be best way to proceed?

Oil and tourettes, any idea what kind of code is needed?
    Any standards / links ?

CoolHammer

oil

Portal Member
    April 1, 2005
    Jyväskylä
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    oil said:
    I have not verified this yet but it looks like subtitles are already working in MP if you have Hauppauge nova-t USB2 with latest drivers and there is no more than one language available. If audio is in English we normally have two choices in subtitles (Finnish and Swedish) but if audio is in Swedish then there is need only for Finnish subtitles and they come on the screen nicely.
    That was rubbish :oops:. Yesterday when I got my MP first time up "YLE Teema" channel happens to send Swedish speaking program with "in burned" Finnish subtitles instead normal closed captioning. Any how, with Hauppauge WinTV2000 subtitles almost work (timing is bad). With ShowShifter they work fine but otherwise I din't like the software.
    CoolHammer said:
    Oil and tourettes, any idea what kind of code is needed?
    Any standards / links ?
    CoolHammer
    I already start reading MP code, but much more reading will be neaded before anytihng real can be done. And I have some other obligations too so let see how this will go.

N

Nick [D]vB

*** We already removed ur postings so why do u dont learn from that? If u dont use MP, go to the forums of what htpc/tv-application u use and nag there around. I'm tired to read ur shit about force anyone to develop some things. That is the last warning for u, so be sure not to get banned by repost same things again and again. ***

Posting modified by Agree.

A

Anonymous

DVB Subtitles

The next time there will be no support for DVB-Subtitle streams. There are only a handfull on hotbird so i dont think i make support for that. I saw there are many channels on Thor supporting it, but i cant receive those channels.
    May be it changes some day...

greets

AllenConquest

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2005
    London, UK
    @Agreed
    I'd be interested in know how you get access to the DVB subtitles in the stream. I'd be happy to look at doing some coding around this as I would love to see this implemented for DVB-T. In the UK quite a few DVB-T channels have subtitles.

Allen

Nicodemuz

Portal Member
    January 10, 2005
    I beleive source code for how to decode dvb subtitle streams can be found for VDR under Linux, it has plugins which supports DVB subtitle streams.

I also have a workmate that developed his own application for his DVB-t card and he has some buggy code that decode subtitle streams but the broadcaster removed subtitle streams in the DVB-t channels so he dropped the development.

Maybe he can share the code but usually he don't share unfinnished code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom