subtitles always start from beginning (1 Viewer)

stefanbaar

Portal Pro
October 31, 2007
Holstebro
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
hello.

I just upgraded to mp 1.2.3 from 1.2.1 and when I play videos with .srt subtitles the subtitles always start from the beginning. If I move forward 10minutes the subtitles start from the beginning again.
I am using MPC-HC subtitles engine and I have never had problems with this before.

Can anyone help me?

-Stefan

stefanbaar

Portal Pro
October 31, 2007
Holstebro
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
EDIT:

I just found out that it is because mediaportal is using divx codec for video, but I have chosen ffdshow in configuration. Why is that? And what can I do?
If i uninstall divx codecs, video and subtitles are working fine, but I have to use the divx audio codec for tv. It is the only one that is working with he aac in denmark.

Is the a way to force mediaportal to use ffdshow for video?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi stefanbaar

The video format is Xvid. From the logs it seems like FFDShow is refusing to decode that format. Please check your FFDShow configuration - is Xvid enabled there?

mm

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If i uninstall divx codecs, video and subtitles are working fine, but I have to use the divx audio codec for tv. It is the only one that is working with he aac in denmark.

Have you tried lav? Apart from DR Update I have no problems with it on DVB-T.

//W

stefanbaar

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2007
    Holstebro
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi stefanbaar

The video format is Xvid. From the logs it seems like FFDShow is refusing to decode that format. Please check your FFDShow configuration - is Xvid enabled there?

mm

Xvid was enabled... The problem came as soon as i installed divx codec pack. Mediaportal refused to use ffdshow.

Have you tried lav? Apart from DR Update I have no problems with it on DVB-T.

//W

Yes I have also tried LAV. All tv channels worked, but not he-aac 5.1 on DRHD.

I have tried nearly everything. And the funny thing is that mediaportal does not use the codecs you tell it to use. I think it has something to do with windows7.

But I found the perfect solution :) I made a clean install and tried unlocked saf6 and now everything works.
    saf also contains divx aac audio codec..

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Okay, I see what is happening. Here is the explanation in case you still want to know...

Xvid was enabled... The problem came as soon as i installed divx codec pack. Mediaportal refused to use ffdshow.
    Xvid is not "natively" supported by MP. In other words MP can play those videos, but there is no "Xvid" or "DivX" codec preference. How it works is that MP analyses the video and finds it doesn't know what to do with it. By default, it treats it as video:

2012-06-07 01:15:42.372723 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: g_Player.Play - Mediatype Unknown, forcing detection as Video

In this case, MP will add the MPEG 2 video decoder to the graph and then attempt to render it. Rendering like that will not force the use of the MPEG 2 video codec (FFDShow in your case). In practice, the codec with the highest "merit" in the system that is able to decode the video format will be used. It is just like enabling the "automatic decoder settings" option.

From your logs, I can see that the DivX decoder has a higher merit (0x00800000) than the FFDShow decoder (0x00100000). This is why the DivX decoder was used.

I have tried nearly everything. And the funny thing is that mediaportal does not use the codecs you tell it to use. I think it has something to do with windows7.
    Nothing to do with W7. This will happen on XP and Vista as well with any format that does not have an explicit codec setting. That includes Xvid and DivX.

But I found the perfect solution :) I made a clean install and tried unlocked saf6 and now everything works.
    saf also contains divx aac audio codec..
    Glad it is working for you. Obviously SAF installs FFDShow with a high merit so that it will get used in preference to any other Xvid-capable decoder.

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok. Thanks for information :)

So all I needed was a way to change merits?? Is this possible for a common user?
    Yes, I think all that was needed was to change the merits.
    It is possible for the "common user" if they want to learn. :D
    You can do this with GraphStudio or programs like Filmerit. I use GraphStudio:

1. Download GraphStudio (no need to install - can just run). I think it may be included with some codec packs.
    2. Run GraphStudio.
    3. Click "graph" -> "insert filter".
    4. Find the codec that you need to change - it is usually in the "DirectShow filters" category.
    5. Click "change merit".
    6. Set the value.
    7. Click okay.

There are some screenshots here (especially the bottom one) that show what has to be done.

mm

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks mm for all your explanation :)
    In the future 1.3.0, we can have Xvid/Divx section in codec configuration part, so it should be working a little more easy :)
    Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom