Subtitles and dxva | Page 2

Discussion in 'Improvement Suggestions' started by André, April 3, 2008.

1. cruse
    • Premium Supporter

cruse MP Donator

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    The subtitle issue also is a constant request for the standalone MPC Decoder, so you don't have to rely on an extra subtitle engine.

Would be great if the MP devs could join forces with the MPC devs or use the open source to develop some kind of MP(C) Codec which provides HW acceleration throughout MediaPortal if a suitable GPU is installed.
    If you would need postprocessing u could still fall back to other decoders like it is now.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. red5goahead
    • Premium Supporter

red5goahead MP Donator

Software engineering
    Ratings:
    +144 / 1
    Home Country:
    Italy Italy
    Show System Specs
    Could be usefull and enough a filter to join the mkv reader subtitles pin and the evr1 or vmr1 outpin.
    I wrote a post in ffdshow forum for this issue. ffdshow release a ffdshow subtitle filter but it work in the video chain so it's not able to raster subtitle in dxva mode.

4. camoura

camoura Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It would be really nice to have H.264 hardware acceleration AND idx/sub subltiles!

5. Johan

Johan Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Are there any plans whatsoever to add support for DXVA and subtitles in MP?

I am thinking about buying a new ATI HD card to get acceleration since I cannot view H.264 coded movies with my current system.
    If I don't get support for subtitles it feels a bit useless since my wife will not see anything without subs.
    It is hard for me to get approval from her to buy something that she has no use for :)

Is it maybe possible to set up MP to use external player for h264 material like MPC (which can view subs with dxva if I understand correctly)?

6. damaster

damaster Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Another vote for this feature! It would be absolutely great if MediaPortal could use it's own internal subtitle renderer and not require loading DirectVobSub (aka VSFilter) and thus break hardware acceleration.

Hardware acceleration (DXVA) and the ability to have subtitles would be absolutely awesome!

7. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    Would be nice if someone had enough free time to implement such functionality :)

8. damaster

damaster Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Well I definitely have the software development knowledge and experience to do it, just never done anything related to DirectShow, etc. I would need someone to nudge me in the right direction and help me get started.

My current implementation idea is similar to what MPC-HC does: implement an EVR custom presenter and "draw" the subtitles while performing the presentation of the video. This would ensure no additional DirectShow filter is added to the chain between the video decoder and the renderer. Is this a good start: How to Write an EVR Presenter

9. camoura

camoura Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great initiative!

Just make sure idx/vob subtitles can be used. Other formats are always welcome.

10. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    Yep, that would be the correct way. MP already has its own custom VMR9 and EVR presenter/allocators, so that part is already there.

Some parts of the MPC-HC code will propably be usable in MP implementation.

11. Johan

Johan Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    This is very good initiative. I have been waiting for this a long time but unfortunately I have no knowledge how to do this myself.

I am using mostly .srt subs but idx/vob and MKV subs are of course very welcome!
    Prefereably it should work on XP as well as Vista. I am running XP so I hope that comes first :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!