Subtitles and dxva (1 Viewer)

cruse

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The subtitle issue also is a constant request for the standalone MPC Decoder, so you don't have to rely on an extra subtitle engine.

Would be great if the MP devs could join forces with the MPC devs or use the open source to develop some kind of MP(C) Codec which provides HW acceleration throughout MediaPortal if a suitable GPU is installed.
    If you would need postprocessing u could still fall back to other decoders like it is now.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    The subtitle issue also is a constant request for the standalone MPC Decoder, so you don't have to rely on an extra subtitle engine.

Would be great if the MP devs could join forces with the MPC devs or use the open source to develop some kind of MP(C) Codec which provides HW acceleration throughout MediaPortal if a suitable GPU is installed.
    If you would need postprocessing u could still fall back to other decoders like it is now.

Could be usefull and enough a filter to join the mkv reader subtitles pin and the evr1 or vmr1 outpin.
    I wrote a post in ffdshow forum for this issue. ffdshow release a ffdshow subtitle filter but it work in the video chain so it's not able to raster subtitle in dxva mode.

Johan

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Are there any plans whatsoever to add support for DXVA and subtitles in MP?

I am thinking about buying a new ATI HD card to get acceleration since I cannot view H.264 coded movies with my current system.
    If I don't get support for subtitles it feels a bit useless since my wife will not see anything without subs.
    It is hard for me to get approval from her to buy something that she has no use for :)

Is it maybe possible to set up MP to use external player for h264 material like MPC (which can view subs with dxva if I understand correctly)?

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Another vote for this feature! It would be absolutely great if MediaPortal could use it's own internal subtitle renderer and not require loading DirectVobSub (aka VSFilter) and thus break hardware acceleration.

Hardware acceleration (DXVA) and the ability to have subtitles would be absolutely awesome!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Another vote for this feature! It would be absolutely great if MediaPortal could use it's own internal subtitle renderer and not require loading DirectVobSub (aka VSFilter) and thus break hardware acceleration.

Hardware acceleration (DXVA) and the ability to have subtitles would be absolutely awesome!

Would be nice if someone had enough free time to implement such functionality :)

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Would be nice if someone had enough free time to implement such functionality :)
    Well I definitely have the software development knowledge and experience to do it, just never done anything related to DirectShow, etc. I would need someone to nudge me in the right direction and help me get started.

My current implementation idea is similar to what MPC-HC does: implement an EVR custom presenter and "draw" the subtitles while performing the presentation of the video. This would ensure no additional DirectShow filter is added to the chain between the video decoder and the renderer. Is this a good start: How to Write an EVR Presenter

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    My current implementation idea is similar to what MPC-HC does: implement an EVR custom presenter and "draw" the subtitles while performing the presentation of the video. This would ensure no additional DirectShow filter is added to the chain between the video decoder and the renderer. Is this a good start: How to Write an EVR Presenter

Yep, that would be the correct way. MP already has its own custom VMR9 and EVR presenter/allocators, so that part is already there.

Some parts of the MPC-HC code will propably be usable in MP implementation.

Johan

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    This is very good initiative. I have been waiting for this a long time but unfortunately I have no knowledge how to do this myself.

I am using mostly .srt subs but idx/vob and MKV subs are of course very welcome!
    Prefereably it should work on XP as well as Vista. I am running XP so I hope that comes first :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom