subtitles not working with powerdvd 11 codec (1 Viewer)

montecristo

Portal Pro
May 29, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
hi,

i installed powerdvd 11 ultra and using the pdvd11 codecs in mepo.

so far everything is ok.
however, when i select the pdvd 11 video codec i am not able to view the subtitles with DVD files (vob, ifo).
with PDVD 10 codec it is working.

now i found out this is a "bug" in the PDVD11 codec/software.

how do i know this?

usually when you play a dvd from HD you start the movie from the IFO file, then everything is working fine.
but in PDVD11 the IFO cannot be associated with PDVD. there is no option to associate this file with PDVD.
if you want to open a DVD on HD from within PDVD you can only open the VOB files (which is not the complete video)
then you are also not able to view subtitles.

but if you open a movie from outside PDVD.
you can click on the IFO file and open it with PDVD.
then you can watch the complete movie with subtitles.

so, the PDVD 11 codec int itself cannot use subtitles because it only opens VOB files and not IFO files (which you need for the subs)

so if you use this codec in mepo the DVD subs are also not working (PDVD codec probably skipping the IFO file).

this problem is only ocuring with DVD files.
with MKV, DIVX and other similar files there are no issues to show subtitles.

with the PDVD 10 codec there are no issues regarding this.

in short, is there a way around this to see subtitles and using PDVD11 codec?

thanks,

Montecristo

SimonP

Portal Pro
March 6, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
... but in PDVD11 the IFO cannot be associated with PDVD. there is no option to associate this file with PDVD.
Right click on your IFO file, select 'Open with', select 'Choose default program', select PowerDVD11, make sure 'Always use the selected program...' is ticked and it'll open in PDVD11.

Last time I tried, MP wouldn't open a file using this method, which is a shame, and agreed that this sounds like a bug in PDVD11 as it does work in 10 but that should get you around it.

Lbr_Lion

Extension Designer
July 19, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Do you use the the 'Cyberlink Video Decoder' for DVD? In that case can you please try the 'Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder' for DVD. (This video decoder does support DVD subtitles and navigation.)
Maybe you have to register 'CLVsd.ax' before you can select the codec in MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom