[success] Multiple Hauppauge Colossus running with MediaPortal 1.6 (2 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Stephen

Just curious whether you've had time to write up what you had to do with IRSS and the blaster plugin. :)

mm

stephenv

Portal Member
    December 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes, I did get the IRSS system working. I'm using it with a USB-UIRT which is now controlling three Motorola digital cable boxes.

There were two issues with this:

1. finding the newest version of the IRSS software, this is hidden away in a forum message
    2. when you install the IRSS package, if you just accept the defaults it does not install the "TV3 Blaster Plugin" for the Media Portal Server. This took me ages to figure out.

Other notes;

I had problems with the actual IR transmitter devices, the first ones I tried were actually IR receivers, so they didn't work. Of course when you can't actually see IR (except with the aid of some digital cameras) this is tricky. Once I had that figured, I could control two devices (one with the built in transmitter and another with an external transmitter). When I added my third Hauppauge Colosseus card I needed to build a cable with two IR transmitters on it. I bought a "dual transmitter cable" from Amazon but both transmitters were hooked up to the same port, so I had to get out the wire cutters, heat shrink tubing and soldering iron and hack the cable.

The installation of the third Hauppauge card was similar to the second one, I had to uninstall and then reinstall the Hauppauge drivers after adding the third card and then reboot the machine a couple of times before all the cards were fully functional. It has been stable ever since.

I got all of this work completed shortly before the Winter Olympics and recorded the games just about non-stop for 2 weeks, using VideoReDo TVSuite V4 to compress the .TS files from the previous day (which were in the 20-30GB range) down to about 3-5GB at the same time as recording the current day's events. In total I've recorded about 1.2TB before compressing it down to about 190GB. All without a reboot. Nice!

What I'm having trouble facing is the next task which will be to move all this equipment (the computer, the 3 cable boxes and all the cables and IR blasters...) from my staging area to their permanent home on a shelf in the basement...

Regards,

Stephen

Quek9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes, I did get the IRSS system working. I'm using it with a USB-UIRT which is now controlling three Motorola digital cable boxes.

There were two issues with this:

1. finding the newest version of the IRSS software, this is hidden away in a forum message
    2. when you install the IRSS package, if you just accept the defaults it does not install the "TV3 Blaster Plugin" for the Media Portal Server. This took me ages to figure out.

Other notes;

I had problems with the actual IR transmitter devices, the first ones I tried were actually IR receivers, so they didn't work. Of course when you can't actually see IR (except with the aid of some digital cameras) this is tricky. Once I had that figured, I could control two devices (one with the built in transmitter and another with an external transmitter). When I added my third Hauppauge Colosseus card I needed to build a cable with two IR transmitters on it. I bought a "dual transmitter cable" from Amazon but both transmitters were hooked up to the same port, so I had to get out the wire cutters, heat shrink tubing and soldering iron and hack the cable.

The installation of the third Hauppauge card was similar to the second one, I had to uninstall and then reinstall the Hauppauge drivers after adding the third card and then reboot the machine a couple of times before all the cards were fully functional. It has been stable ever since.

I got all of this work completed shortly before the Winter Olympics and recorded the games just about non-stop for 2 weeks, using VideoReDo TVSuite V4 to compress the .TS files from the previous day (which were in the 20-30GB range) down to about 3-5GB at the same time as recording the current day's events. In total I've recorded about 1.2TB before compressing it down to about 190GB. All without a reboot. Nice!

What I'm having trouble facing is the next task which will be to move all this equipment (the computer, the 3 cable boxes and all the cables and IR blasters...) from my staging area to their permanent home on a shelf in the basement...

Regards,

Stephen
    This could worked with using a 3.5mm Jack Splitter.[DOUBLEPOST=1397051044][/DOUBLEPOST]I am having problems getting IRSS, Eventghost, and my USB-UIRT to play nice together. It was working with the following .dll found here-->http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3439. However, lately it has been acting flaky with neither IRSS or EG being able to communicate with the USB-UIRT.

I am currently using EG to send the "Enter" command on a timer (every 8hrs) to my STBs because there isn't a way to keep them awake via the STB. And I am using IRSS to send blasting commands to the STBs for channel changes. It was working great but some time along the way of updating to MP1.7, the recent IRSS, and a slew of Window updates the problem started.

Ideally, I wish I could send the "enter" via IRSS every 8 hrs to perpetuity. Or have EG handle STB blasting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom